The markets of Bhubaneswar are a shopper's paradise. Shopping in Bhubaneswar is a pleasurable experience- and refreshingly addictive.
The local handicrafts display consummate artistry and showcases the craftsmanship of the people who make such exquisite creations.
Shopping in Bhubaneswar is incomplete without purchasing the following locally made products:
- Applique Work: Applique Work are usually seen on garments. The local name of Applique Work is chandua. Applique Work is very attractive and is one of the more recognizable facets of Oriyan culture.
- Silver Filigree: The local name for Silver Filigree in Orissa is Tarakashi. Silver Filigree is a craft of great intricacy. Most of the local craftsmen make their Silver Filigree products with 90 percent or more silver in the alloy.
- Wood work: Shopping in Bhubaneswar is incomplete without purchasing locally made wood work. Wood sculpture, Image of gods and goddesses, wood work of various animals like elephants, peacocks and horses will arrest your eye. Articles like masks, toys and boxes reveal the excellence of wood carving of Orissa. Some of the wood products are carved, the rest are turned wood.
- Metallic work: The glittering Bell Metal occupies a special position in Orissa's cultural fabric. The famous Dhokra metal casting are made of bronze.
- Weaving work: The traditional weaving work of Orissa is the famous 'Ikkat'. The Ikkat fabric is a proof of a long cultural contact between India and Indonesia.
Last Updated on 27 July 2012