A major airport in South India, Chennai International Airport (CIA) is the primary airport that serves the city of Chennai. It is the third busiest airport in India after Delhi and Mumbai. The airport has connectivity to most of the domestic airports in the country and many major airports in the world. It also serves as the regional headquarters of the Airports Authority of India for the southern region that includes the states of Kerala, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka and the union territories of Lakshadweep and Puducherry. The airport is located 19 km southwest of the city.
- In 1932, the first aircraft 'Puss Moth' landed in the airport, but the usage was only limited to military operations during World War II.
- In 1952, the Civil Aviation Department took over the airport.
- In 1972, the International Airports Authority of India (IAAI) took over the airport.
- In 1978, an air cargo complex was commissioned.
- In 1985, a new domestic terminal was commissioned.
- In 1989, a new international terminal was commissioned.
- In 2003, a new international departure terminal was established.
Achievements of CIA
CIA holds the merit of many firsts apart from some awards:
- It is the first international airport to get an ISO-9001-2000 certification.
- It is the first airport to have international and domestic terminals adjacent to each other.
- It is the first airport to have aerobridges at its domestic terminal.
- It is the first airport that started the use of paper cups to make itself environment-friendly.
- It is the first airport that supplied free mineral water by setting up water coolers at Kamaraj Domestic Terminal and Anna International Terminal.
- It is the recipient of the 'Best Airport-Domestic Terminal' by the Indian Guild of Professional Architects.
There are two terminals at the airport - Kamaraj Domestic Terminal and Anna International Terminal. Both the terminals are named after the former chief ministers of Tamil Nadu, K. Kamaraj and C. N. Annadurai, respectively.
The airport provides all sorts of world-class facilities. Some of those are mentioned below:
- Reserved Lounge (for the designated entities)
- Baggage Trolleys
- Medical/First Aid Room
- Child Care Room
- Lost and Found
- Tourist Information
- CCTV/Flight Information/Plasma Monitor
- Entertainment TV
- Telephone in Security Hold Area
- Car Hauler
- Drinking water with environment-friendly cups
- Mobile Chargers
- Executive Lounge
- Retiring Rooms
- Money Exchange
- Duty Free Shops
- STD/ISD/PCO/Int'l Call Card Outlet/Airtel Recharge Coupon/International SIM Cards
- Post Office
- Prepaid Taxi/Car Rental/Mini Coach Services
- Left Luggage Counter
- Baggage Wrapping Machine
- Mishandled Baggage and Excess Baggage Coupon Counter
- T.R. Stall/Readymade/Tie/Book/Pearl Shops/Life Style Product Shop
- Restaurants/Snack Bar/Juice Shop/Cookies/Cake Shop/Chocolate/Soups/Noodles/ Sweet Shops/Tea-Coffee Vending Machines
- Branded Footwear/Leather Shop
- Spa Facility/Massage Chair
- Drinking Water
- Broadband Internet Service
- Newspaper/Magazine Kiosk/Book Shop
- Ticketing Counter
- Branded Tea Counter
Last Updated on : June 10, 2015