India vs Srilanka Final The Wankhede Stadium Mumbai is one of the important cricket stadiums in the country. This stadium was built in 1974. The stadium has a total capacity to accommodate 45000 people at once. The stadium was built after a dispute between Mumbai Cricket Association and Cricket Club of India.
The pitch of Wankhede Stadium is always known to favor the bowlers. Among bowlers of all sorts, spinners get the maximum amount of advantage in the pitch. The pitch has bounce for spin bowlers and swing for medium fast bowlers.
It is the second biggest cricket stadium in Mumbai. Some of the great innings have been witnessed by the audiences in this stadium. Some of important innings on this stadium are:
- Sunil Gavaskar's 205 against West Windies is one of the great innings in this ground in 1978.
- Kallicharan's scored a 187 in 1978.
- Ian Botham hit a century and took thirteen wickets in a Test in 1980.
|Click to View Wankhede Stadium Location Map|
- Ravi Shashtri hit six sixes in an over.
- Vinod Kambli scored a 224 in 1992, which is the highest score hit by any Indian in this stadium.
The stadium main gates are named after
- Vinoo Mankad
- Polly Umrigar
The stadium stands are named after
- Sunil Gavaskar: The East stand upper stand is named after this cricketing legend.
- Vijay Merchant: The West Stand was named after Vijay Merchant.
- Sachin Tendulkar: The North stand is named after Sachin Tendulkar.
The list of matches is given below
- 13 March, 9.30, New Zealand Vs Canada, Mumbai
- 18 March, 14.30, Sri Lanka Vs New Zealand, Mumbai
Final Match of world cup 2011
2 April 2011 - 14:30 PM - Between the winners of the Semi Finals
Apart from cricket, a number of events are also organized in this stadium. For example, International singing star, Shakira organized one concert on March 25 in the year of 2007.
Get the Shortest Path to Wankhede Stadium
|Directions to be Taken||Map|