Browse by
Month
Date

Major News and Events of 14 April 2013

What Happened on 14 April 2013


Rajeev Khandelwal brought transition for TV actors: Hussain Kuwajerwala

Actor Hussain Kuwajerwala, who is all set for his Bollywood debut with "Shree", says it was Rajeev Khandelwal's successful move from the small screen to the big screen, which was a transition for TV actors. Rajeev had left his popular show to move to Bollywood with the movie "Aamir" for which he got critical acclaim. Since then he has been a part of different films. Hussain has his own fan following with small screen TV shows like "Kumkum" and "Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi". He is also an exceptional dancer and was part of a live Bollywood musical called "Zangoora".

Uttar Pradesh, Chandigarh enter sub-junior women's hockey semis

Uttar Pradesh and Chandigarh entered the semifinals from Pool B of the Hockey India Sub-Junior Women's National Championship (North Zone). Uttar Pradesh defeated Himachal Pradesh by 6-0. Uttar Pradesh led by 4-0 at half time. The goals were scored by Mohini Nishad, Sonal Tiwari and Nilamjati. In the second half, Uttar Pradesh scored two more goals by Ananaya Verma and Khushboo Kumari. In another game, Punjab defeated Chandigarh by 5-1. Haryana will now face Uttar Pradesh in the first semifinal while Chandigarh will take on Delhi in the second semifinal.

Bengal moves closer to setting up electronic clusters

The West Bengal Govt is confident of appointing transaction advisors by next month for setting up two electronic manufacturing clusters (EMCs). The Govt has already identified 70 acres and 42 acres of land for the clusters to be developed at Naihati in North 24 Parganas district and Falta in South 24 Parganas district respectively. The state Govt will appoint separate transaction advisors for developing the two EMCs. The central Govt will supply financial assistance to the state for the EMCs, which will be set up through public-private partnership. These EMCs are expected to assist the growth of the electronics systems design and manufacturing (ESDM) sector and help development of the entrepreneurial ecosystem.

Infosys to trim hiring in 2013-14

Reeling under flat revenue growth and bleak outlook, Indian IT giant Infosys will go slow on hiring this fiscal (2013-14) to cut down operational cost and minimize bench strength. "We will go to campuses for hiring as and when required. Though freshers account for about 70% of our hiring, we will look for lateral hiring for the remaining 30 percent internally through promotions as well as from the industry in new areas such as infrastructure, cloud, mobility and consultancy," said Infosys Chief Executive S.D. Shibulal. Unlike previous years when the global software major was on a hiring spree every quarter, lower utilization rates, increasing bench strength and modest revenue growth of 6-10% for this fiscal (FY 2014) have forced it to defer giving appointment letters or joining dates to many of those offered jobs in 2012.

President may form own opinion on mercy pleas: SC

The Supreme Court said that even as the president or a governor cannot overturn its final verdict, in appropriate cases they can form an opinion whether a case is made out for grant of pardon or reprieve. The observation came while answering a question about the nature of power vested in the president under Article 72 and the governor under Article 161 of the constitution. This came up while answering a question arising from the arguments of the counsel appearing in the case for 1993 Delhi bomb blast. The court also said that the goes for the state government, which is required to give advice to the governor for exercising his or her powers under Article 161 of the constitution.

Nitish Kumar not in PM race: JD-U

The Janata Dal-United (JD-U) said that the Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar is not in the Prime Minister race. "We have made our stand clear on PM issue. Nitish Kumar is not in the race for PM" said JD-U spokesperson KC Tyagi at a press conference. The JD-U began a two-day meet amid signals that the party may not straight away press the BJP to announce a prime ministerial candidate for the 2014 general elections, while keeping its reservations over Gujarat CM Narendra Modi. KC Tyagi said that his party would give the Bharatiya Janata Party time to declare the PM candidate.