Among the new Central Universities that have been established by the ‘Government of India, one is the Central University of Kerala. The university has been brought into existence by “The Central Universities Act, 2009. It is located in Kasaragod, a district in the North of Kerala. At present the university is operating from Nayanmar Moola which is at a distance of 5kms from the town of Kasaragod. Office of the Vice-Chancellor, Finance officer, Registrar, Controller of Examinations, Faculties, Class rooms, library, computer centre, faculty apartment, meeting hall, etc are all housed in a 3 storeyed building in Nayanmar Moola.
The Central University of Kerala extends its jurisdiction over the entire state of Kerala. The Vice-Chancellor of this Central University is Prof Jancy George while the visitor is Smt. Pratibha Patil.
In the present academic session of 2009, the 2 schools on inter-disciplinary studies that have already been sanctioned by UGC are-
- School of Languages and Comparative Literature offering Master’s degree in Comparative Literature
- School of Global Studies offering Master’s degree in Economic Theory and Global Governance
“School of Comparative Literature” will envisage upon comparative as well as multi-disciplinary and inter-disciplinary programmes with Cultural Studies and English Literature be given equal importance. Programmes in various languages, foreign as well as India will be provided by the university. Other master’s degree programme will include Film Studies, Translation Studies, Media Studies, Communicative Skill Training and Performance Studies.
“School of Global Studies” will concentrate on Theoretical and International Studies in Political Economy, Economics, and Law within inter-disciplinary framework. Post graduate programme in Economic Theory and Governance which commenced in this year is based on an updated syllabus that will facilitate job prospects and research.
Programmes to be offered at Central University of Kerala
- MPhi and PhD Programmes
- MPhil and PhD in Economics (School of Global Studies)
- MPhil and PhD in Comparative Literature (School of Comparative Literature)
Last Updated on : March 28, 2016
- MA in Comparative Literature (School of Languages and Comp. Literature)
- MSc in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (School of Biological Sciences)
- MA in Economics (School of Global Studies)
- MSc in Genomic Science (School of Biological Sciences)
- MSc in Animal Science (School of Biological Sciences)
- MSc in Physics (School of Mathematical and Physical Sciences)