The Indian Institute of Technology is one of the most renowned engineering institutes in India, with its branches in different cities of the country. Established in 2008, IIT Bhubaneswar is among the eight IITs in the country.
Foundation and current director
The announcement for setting IIT Bhubaneswar was made by Arjun Singh, the then minister of human resources, in a press conference in 2008. IIT Kharagpur played the mentoring role for its Bhubaneswar counterpart. The current director of the institute is Professor Madhusudan Chakraborty. He has been in the position since 2009. S. K. Roongta is the chairman of the institute.
The main campus of IIT Bhubaneswar is lavishly spread over an area of 935 acres. The various constituents of the campus are as follows.
Schools in IIT Bhubaneswar
- Permanent Campus: Large campus with all the main buildings of IIT Bhubaneswar.
- Marine Campus: Dedicated to the study of marine engineering, disaster management, marine ecosystem, and so on. Studies will be conducted at graduate and postgraduate levels in this campus.
- Education Hub: It is quite interesting to note that the area in close vicinity to IIT Bhubaneswar has many educational institutes. While some of the institutes are there from beforehand, others are being developed really fast. Therefore the area can be considered as an education hub.
There are many schools in IIT Bhubaneswar, where students can choose their favorite subject of study. Some of the prominent ones are as follows:
Departments/Courses Offered by IIT Bhubaneswar
- Humanities, Social Sciences & Management
- Basic Sciences
- Mechanical Sciences
- Earth, Ocean and Climate Sciences
- Minerals, Metallurgical & Materials Engineering
- Electrical Sciences
- Information Technology
- Marine Engineering and Technology
- School of Coastal Planning and Engineering
At IIT Bhubaneswar students can undertake various kinds of courses at different levels:
Schedule of Examinations in IIT Bhubaneswar
- B.Tech.: Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Electrical Engineering courses are offered for B.Tech. degrees in the premier engineering institute. These courses are of four-year duration and on completion the student will be honored with a B.Tech. (Honours) degree .
- M.Tech.: The M.Tech course is offered in many subjects like Climate Sciences and Technology, Materials Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Mechanical Sciences and Civil Engineering. Along with independent M.Tech. degree, there is also a joint M.Tech. and Ph.D. course.
- Ph.D.: Ph.D. programs are offered in many subjects at IIT Bhubaneswar. Some of the most important ones are School of Basic Sciences; Ocean and Climate Sciences; School of Electrical Sciences; School of Mechanical Sciences; School of Humanities, Social Sciences and Management; School of Mineral, Metallurgical and Materials Engineering; School of Earth; and School of Infrastructure.
There are semesters in each course at IIT Bhubaneswar - autumn semester and spring semester. Along with the two semesters, there is also a shorter summer quarter. There are some courses offered during this time. Usually each year of study is divided into two semesters. So if a course is of four years, then there are eight semesters in the same. However, the numbers of semesters depend on the type and level of course.
The performance of the students at IIT Bhubaneswar is measured on a credit-base system. There are many factors that play an important role in deciding the performance of a student. For undergraduate students, the credit score should be 21 to 24.
Career development and placement programs in IIT Bhubaneswar
Great initiative is taken by the engineering institute so that students can have a prosperous career after they pass out from this pioneering engineering institute. There is a counseling service team in the institute, where trained and experienced counselors groom the students for the future. They help in developing self-confidence and esteem of an individual so that they can face the world smartly. Sometimes students also need psychological assistance for dealing with various problems. The counseling team provides assistance in this regard as well.
It is a matter of great pride that IIT Bhubaneswar has won many awards and accolades for various academic and educational endeavors. Some of the most prominent of them are as follows:
Campus life at IIT Bhubaneswar
- Outstanding Engineering Institute (East) 2013.
- Prof. S. Tripathy of the institute has been chosen as Fellow of The National Academy of Sciences for the year 2013.
- The institute director has been conferred Award for Outstanding Contribution to Education by the Golden Star Academic & Education Excellence Awards 2013.
- Dr. Rajan Jha, Assistant Professor of Physics from School of Basic Sciences, has been selected and awarded as an Associate of the Indian Academy of Sciences, Bengaluru.
- Mr. S. Nandi, institute scholar, was awarded the Dr. D. S. Bhakuni Award at the 49th Annual Convention of Chemists in 2012.
Students' Gymkhana is an association formed by the students of IIT Bhubaneswar. This group carries out various kinds of programmes and activities in the institute. The group was formed in 2010. Various kinds of fests and cultural events are organized by the group from time to time. The main aim of the association is to bring the students and authorities of the institute close to each other. A number of extracurricular activities are carried out by the group. There is also a hierarchy of the students' council, where there is a President, General Secretary, Socio-Cultural Council, Vice President, and so on. Elections are held for electing candidates to different positions after regular intervals.
Last Updated on : March 25, 2016