2013 Major Events in India
Before we bid farewell to 2013 let's recall and relive some moments that hold significance for India. Here is a list of some major events of 2013:
- 3 January-7 January: 100th Indian Science Conference at Kolkata
- 27 January-25th February: Kumbh Mela in the land of Triveni Sangam, Allahabad, witnessed the greatest gathering of Hindu pilgrims.
- 12 February: Numerous politicians and officials of military have been accused of involvement in chopper scam.
- 14-21 February: 2013 South Asian Games took place in Delhi
- 10 February: A stampede occurred at the train station during the Kumbh Mela in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh. 36 people died and 39 were injured.
- 21 February: 2 bombs blasted in Dilsukhnagar, Hyderabad killing 17 people and 119 were injured.
- 26 February: Pawan Kumar Bansal presented the Rail Budget 2013-14
- 28 February: P. Chidambaram presented the Union Budget 2013-14
- 20 March: India successfully test-fired BRAHMOS missile from a submerged platform in Bay of Bengal.
- 4 April: At least 74 people died in a building collapse in Mumbra, Thane.
- 25 May: Naxalites attacked a fleet of Congress leaders leading to 27 deaths. The Congress chief of Chhattisgarh Nand Kumar Patel and the former state minister Mahendra Karma were also killed during the attack. The incident happened in the Darbha Valley in the Sukma district, Chhattisgarh.
- 26 May: Mumbai Indians won the Series in 6th Season of IPL
- 14-17 June: Destructive floods and landslides in Uttarakhand caused more than 5,700 deaths.
- 16 June: The Janata Dal (United) broke 17-year-old alliance with the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- 1 July: IRNSS-1A, India's first navigation satellite was successfully launched by the Indian Space Research Organisation.
- 7 July: Serial Blasts took place in Bodh Gaya inside the Mahabodhi Temple.
- 12 July: Pran, Bollywood actor passed away.
- 14 August: Explosion took place on INS Sindhurakshak Submarine, resulting in fire.
- 7 September: Riots between two communities in Muzaffarnagar caused 43 deaths and 93 injuries.
- 30 September: Lalu Prasad Yadav, former Chief Minister of Bihar, was arrested for involvement in the fodder scam.
- 05 November: The Mars Orbiter Mission was successfully put into Earth orbit by the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO)
- 27 October: 2013 Indian Grand Prix took place at Buddh International Circuit, Greater Noida
- 24 October: Manna Dey, Legendary Singer passed away.
- 3 October: Telangana was declared as 29th state of the nation
- 13 October: Stampede occurred on a bridge during Navratri near the Ratangarh Mata Temple in Datia district of Madhya Pradesh. 115 people died and more than 110 were injured because of a rumour that the bridge was about to break down.
- 27 October: Serial Blasts occurred in Patna at "Hunkar rally" of BJP Prime Ministerial candidate Narendra Modi. 6 people died and 85 got injured in eight blasts.
- 5 Nov: India's ambitious mission to Mars (Mangalyaan) takes off
- 14 November: Rapid MetroRail Gurgaon phase-1 became operational.
- 16 November: Sachin Tendulkar retired from international cricket after playing his final (200th) Test in Mumbai.
- 21 November: World Chess Championship 2013 took place in Chennai. India's Vishwanathan Anand lost the title to Magnus Carlsen of Norway.
- 26 November: Rajesh & Nupur Talwar get life imprisonment for the 2008 murder case. They have been held guilty for killing Aarushi, their daughter, and Hemraj, their domestic help.
- 8 Dec: BJP won Assembly Elections 2013 in Delhi, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan.
- 8 Dec: Defying all critics, the Aam Aadmi Party emerged as the second-largest party in Delhi Assembly Elections, winning 28 seats.
- 9 Dec: Congress won Assembly Elections 2013 in Mizoram.
- 6-15 Dec: 2013 Men's Hockey Junior World Cup held in New Delhi, India.
- 28 Dec: Arvind Kejriwal sworn in as the CM of Delhi.
- 9 January: 5.9 Magnitude Earthquake in Northeast India having the epicentre at the Myanmar-India border region.
- 15 July: A MiG-21 Crashed in Rajasthan
- 10 October: Road accident near Hoshiarpur, Punjab - 20 people killed and 35 injured
- Ceasefire violation and terror attacks in Jammu and Kashmir
- Cyclones Pahilin, Lehar, Mahasen, Helen and Madi in Orissa and Andhra Pradesh
- Chinese Troops intrude into Chumar
|Indian Legends who left for heavenly abode in 2013|
|Ghulam Muntaqa (1936 - March 2013)||Manivannan (July 1953 - June 2013)|
|Datla VijayKumar (1946 - March 2013)||B. Raman (1936 - June 2013)|
|Sukumari (October 1940 - March 2013)||Uma Shivakumar (1941 - June 2013)|
|Peter Colaco (March 1946 - March 2013)||Pran Krishan Sikand (February 1920 - July 2013)|
|P. B. Sreenivas (September 1930 - April 2013)||Sharmila Rege (October 1964 - July 2013)|
|Ram Prasad Goenka (March 1930 - April 2013)||Rangabashyam (1934 - July 2013)|
|T. K. Ramamoorthy (1922 - April 2013)||'Valiba kavignar' Vaali (October 1931 - July 2013)|
|Sivanthi Adityan (September 1936 - April 2013)||Manjula Vijayakumar (September 1953 - July 2013)|
|Shakuntala Devi (November 1929 - April 2013)||V. Dakshinamoorthy (December 1919 - August 2013)|
|Lalgudi Jayaraman (September 1930 - April 2013)||Jasjit Singh (July 1934 - August 2013)|
|Justice J. S. Verma (January 1933 - April 2013)||Henry Rebello (November 1928 - August 2013)|
|Shamshad Begum (April 1919 - April 2013)||Manna Dey (May 1919 - October 2013)|
|Jai Chandiram (1937 - May 2013)||Rajendra Babu (March 1951 - November 2013)|
|Asghar Ali Engineer (March 1939 - May 2013)||Tarla Dalal (June 1936 - November 2013)|
|T. M. Soundararajan||'Pushpa' Thangadurai (1931 - November 2013)|
|Rituparno Ghosh (August 1963 - May 2013)||Raghuram (1949 - November 2013)|
|Dr. Vina Mazumdar (March 1927 - May 2013)||G. S. Shivarudrappa (February 1926 - December 2013)|
|V. C. Shukla (August 1929 - June 2013)|
Last Updated on : December 24, 2013