The mission of guaranteeing defense of India is carried out by the Ministry of Defense. The Ministry of Defense endows with the policy structure and resources to the Armed Forces to execute their responsibilities in the perspective of defense of the country. In the year 1947, the Department of Defense had become the Ministry of Defense.
- Department of Defense Production ( DDP)
- Department of Defense ( DOD)
- Department of Ex Servicemen Welfare and Finance Division
- Department of Defense Research & Development ( DDR&D)
The Defense Ministry has the Defense Minister or Raksha Mantri. The main function of the Indian Defense Ministry is to attain policy instructions of the Government on all defense and security connected topics. After that the Defense Ministry converses them for execution to the Inter-Services Organizations, Service Headquarters, Research and Development Organizations and Production Establishments.
The Defense Secretary functions as the head of the Ministry of Defense of India and is also accountable for organizing activities of the four departments of the Indian Ministry of Defense. The Defense Minister of India is Shri A K Antony. The highest authority of the Armed Forces remains with the President of India.
There are 3 directorates under control of the Ministry of Defence, which are the Directorate General of Quality Assurance (DGQA), the Directorate General Resettlement (DGR) and the Directorate of Standardisation. The subordinate offices under the ministry are the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), the Controller General of Defence Accounts (CGDA), the Ordnance Factories Board (OFB) and the Indian Armed Forces. The Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA) is also controlled by the ministry. The Air Force Naval Housing Board (AFNHB) and the Integrated Defence Staff (IDS) are also part of the ministry.
There are also some other companies, which are associated with the ministry of Defence, India. Some of these are:
- Garden Reach Ship Builders and Engineers Limited (GRSE)
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL)
- Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL)
- Mazagon Dock Limited
- Bharat Earth Movers Limited (BEML)
- Goa Shipyard Limited
- Mishra Dhatu Nigam Limited (MIDHANI)
- Institute for Defence Studies and Analyses, New Delhi
- Ceremonials Honours & Awards
- Defence Cooperation with Foreign countries
- Mountaineering Institutes at Darjeeling, Uttarkashi and Jawahar Institute of Mountaineering & Winter Sports, Kashmir
Last Updated on 1st Oct 2012