Ministry of Food Processing Industrieswas established in the year 1988 with the aim to improve the food processing sector of the country. The ministry falls under the Central Government Ministries- India. The Indian Ministry of Food Processing Industries focuses on technological upgradation, development of infrastructure, development of backward linkages, improvement of quality and also extension of the export market for food products. The Paddy Processing Research Centre (PPRC) is an autonomous body under control of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries, India.
Functions of the Indian Ministry of Food Processing Industries
The Ministry of Food Processing also sees to the development of the food processing sector and formulates plans and objectives accordingly. Policy Support, Developmental, Promotional and Regulatory functions are the areas of concern of the Indian Ministry of Food Processing Industries. Policy Support includes the following works:
- To create a healthy environment for the steady growth of the food processing sector
- To promote rational tariffs and duties, which are associated with the food processing sector
- Formulating policies for food processing industries besides seeing to its proper implementation
- Upgrading the skills of the employers and the employees ensuring human resource development
- Assisting the industries according to various planning schemes
- Granting aids for setting up testing and analytical laboratories for bettering food standards
- Strengthening the Research and Development base by involving various Research and Development institutes
The promotional activities of the Ministry of Food processing Industries include:
- Grants for organizing seminars, workshops, exhibitions and fairs
- Promotion through films and publications
- Grants for further research, surveys and studies
Implementation of Food Products Order is however the regulatory function of the ministry of Food Processing Industries.
Goals of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries
The aims of the Ministry of Food Processing Industries are:
- Encouraging R&D in food processing in order to improve product and process
- Maximum utilization of agricultural produce for enhancing the income of the farmers
- Building storage houses, ensuring better transportation to avoid maximum wastage of food
- Utilizing agricultural remains and by- products
Ministry of Food Processing Industries also acts as a major element in attracting foreign investments for shaping a healthy food processing sector.
Last Updated on 1st Oct 2012