Greater Hyderabad is the capital city of Andhra Pradesh, an Indian state situated in the province of Telangana. It was founded by Qutb Shahi Ruler Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah in the year 1591. The city is the fourth largest in India with an approximate population of 9 million and the area of over 625 km2 (241 sq mi).
Greater Hyderabad is popular for its hospitality, history, gastronomic delights and multi-lingual ethnicity both geographically and ethnically. Culturally the city comprises Hindus, Muslims and Christians, and the languages which are widely spoken in this province of Telangana are Deccani-Urdu, Telegu, Hindi and English. While English is widely understood in the city, it is limited to business dealings only. Deccani-Urdu, Telegu and Hindi are the preferred languages of the Hyderabadis.
The skyline of Hyderabad exhibits the distinguishing tombs of the mosques, beautiful and historic churches, elaborate statuettes of Hindu place of worship and unique structural design of the Gurudwaras.
About Safety & Security in Greater Hyderabad
Greater Hyderabad is well known for its image of one of the safest cities in India. The city has never witnessed a massive increase in the crime rates as compared to other metropolitans and the streets are safe at any time of the day or night.
Greater Hyderabad Culture
While you are in Hyderabad make sure that:
- You do not overload your food plate and in case if you do then try to finish everything.
- Avoid putting anything on the religious places or on someone's religious book or any other sacred items.
- Make sure that you do not point the soles of your feet on other people, towards religious places and especially at the entrance of the temple.
- Always remember to take out your shoes while entering religious places or someone's house.
Emergency Numbers in Greater Hyderabad
The emergency numbers in Greater Hyderabad are same as other Indian cities. You can dial:
- 100 for Police
- 101 for Fire Brigade
- 102 for Ambulance
The distances from Metropolitan Cities to Greater Hyderabad are as under:
- From Delhi to Greater Hyderabad, the distance is 1499 km
- From Mumbai to Greater Hyderabad, the distance is 711 km
- From Bangalore to Greater Hyderabad, the distance is 562 km
- From Chennai to Greater Hyderabad, the distance is 688 km
- From Kolkatta to Greater Hyderabad, the distance is 1516 km
Developments in Greater Hyderabad
Hyderabad is emerging in the field of Information Technology and biotechnology. The city has also registered significant development in the real estate business. The growth is triggered by the IT boom in the 1990s and the expansion of the retail sector in the recent past. An array of commercial activities including inception of mega malls in the city.
Greater Hyderabad is the economic capital of the Andhra Pradesh which is evident from its major contribution in the state's gross domestic product, state tax and excise incomes.
The city has some of the excellent infrastructural facilities supported by a large literate population all over the nation.
Last Updated on : 19/08/2013