India is a South-Asian country that borders the Bay of Bengal and the Arabian Sea. It is located on the geographical coordinates of 20 00 North and 77 00 East.
The total area covered by India is 3,287,590 sq km out of which the land covers 2,973,190 sq km and the water bodies cover 314,400 sq km. The fast facts about India are very helpful in knowing the country, its land and people. India enjoys a temperate climate in the north and tropical monsoon type of climate in the south. Agriculture is the mainstay of more than 60% of the Indian population. Rest is employed in industrial and services sectors.
Given below are some quick facts about India:
- India achieved independence on 15th August, 1947.
- The country shares its boundary with Pakistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Burma, Nepal and China.
- The highest point is Mount Kanchenjunga and the lowest point is Indian Ocean.
- India has got a long coastline of 7,000 kilometers.
- The natural resources of India include coal, manganese, bauxite, petroleum, limestone, natural gas, iron ore, etc.
- One of the most important information about India is that the population as per the 2007 report is 1,129,866,154. The rate of the growth of population is 1.61%.
- The ethnic groups in India as per 2000 report include Indo-Aryan (72%), Dravidian (25%), Mongoloid and others (3%).
- The various religions of the country are Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism and other.
- Hindi being the national language, there are 14 other official languages in India.
- India has got a well-knitted transport system through airways, waterways, roadways and railways.
Some other facts on India include:
- India is a democratic country with a federal republican type of government.
- The nation has got 28 states and 7 union territories.
- The capital of India is New Delhi.
- The republic day is celebrated on 26th January.
- The constitution was adopted on 26th January, 1950.
- A person is entitled to vote after attaining 18 years of age.
- India has got a multi-party system.
- Dr. Manmohan Singh is the Prime Minister of India.
|Official Name||Bharat (Hindi), Republic of India (English) |
|Population ||1,21,05,69,573 (2011 Census) |
|Area ||33,287,263 square kilometers |
|Geographical Location||Between latitudes 8 ° 4' and 37 ° 6 ' north and longitudes 68 ° 7 ' and 97° 25' east |
|Coastline Length ||7,517 km |
|Major Religions ||Hinduism, Islam, Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Jainism, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, Bahai Faith|
|Population Density||382 per square kilometers|
|Sex Ratio ||943 females per 1000 males|
|President ||Pranab Mukherjee|
|Vice President||Mohammad Hamid Ansari|
|Prime Minister ||Dr. Manmohan Singh |
|National Anthem ||Jana Gana Mana written by Rabindranath Tagore |
|National Song ||Vande Mataram, composed in Sanskrit by Bankimchandra Chatterji |
|National Emblem ||An adaptation of the Lion Capital of Ashoka at Sarnath|
|National Animal ||Royal Bengal Tiger|
|National Bird ||Peacock |
|National Flower ||Lotus |
|National Tree ||Banyan |
|National Fruit ||Mango |
|National Currency ||Indian Rupee |
|National Sport ||Hockey (Unofficial)|
|Languages ||India has two National languages (Central administrative). They are English (associate official) and Hindi (in the Devanagari script). The Indian Constitution also officially recognizes 22 regional languages.|
|National Flag ||Horizontal tricolor in equal proportion of deep saffron on the top, white in the middle and dark green at the bottom. In the center of the white band is a wheel in navy blue color.|