- Area - 191,791 square kilometers.
- Latitude - 74° and 78° East.
- Longitude - 11° and 18° North.
- Capital - Bangalore.
- Districts - 30.
- Principal language - Kannad.
- Population - 44,977,201.
- Natural regions -
- the Coastal stri
- the Sahyadris, and
- the Deccan Plateau.
- Passes -
- the Subhrahmanya Ghat
- the Charmadi Ghat
- the Shiradi Ghat, and
- the Agumbe Ghat.
- Rivers - Krishna and Kaveri.
The history of Karnataka at a glance is as follows:
- the history of Karnataka starts with Chandragupta Maurya.
- After the Mauryas, emerged the Satavahanas who ruled Karnataka for nearly 300 years, followed by Kadambas, Pallavas, Gangadikaras and so on.
- Karnataka saw the rise of Muslim rulers with Malik Kafur.
- A Hindu Kingdom emerged in 1336 at Vijayanagar under the rule of Harihara (Hakka) and Bukka.
- The Bahamanis established themselves in 1337, but soon they were replaced by the empire of Vijaynagar.
- Then followed a series of Sultans and ultimately the Britishers established a firm basis in Karnataka.
- And in 1973, Karnataka became a part of the Indian Union.
Last Updated on 26th March 2013
|Geography of Karnataka|