Earlier called Palghat, this city is located at the foothills of the Western Ghats. This dreamy land attracts tourists for its evergreen forests, hills, rivers, historical monuments, religious places as well as a vast collection of flora and fauna. Apart from the natural beauty, this place is often visited by people for being the location of the different traditional centers of Ayurvedic treatment.
September to February
Places to see in and around Palakkad
- Anchu Vilakku- This street lamp signifies the city's historical legacy.
- Dhoni Hills- Located at a distance of around 15 km these hills along with its beautiful and small waterfall forms the base area for the trekking route to the reserve forest.
- Fantasy Park- It is an amusement park which has got varied kinds of rides as well as computer games.
- Jainimedu Jain Temple- This historic temple comprises of 4 divisions with portraits of Jain Yakshinis and Thirthankaras in 3 of them.
- Kannukottukavu Temple- Located at just 5 km distance from Palakkad this temple houses the biggest wall painting in the state of Kerala.
- Kollengode- This place is known as the location of the Vishnu Temple and the P. Kunhiraman Nair Memorial.
- Kottayi- It is Late Chembai Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar's native village.
- Lakkidi- The renowned poet Kunchan Nambiar was born at Killikkurissimangalam in Lakkidi and presently the Government of Kerala has preserved his house as a monument.
- Malampuzha Dam- It is a favorite picnic spot that even includes beautiful landscaped gardens and a Snake Park. An aerial ropeway and fishing are the prime attractions of the place.
- Palakkad Fort- This old fort made of granite was built in the year 1766 by Hyder Ali in the heart of the city.
- Puthur Tirupuraikkal Bhagavathy Temple- This Bhagavathy temple is located near the Malampuzha Palakkad Bypass Road which is around 3 km from the Palakkad city.
- Sree Kurumba Bhagavathy Temple- Based at Pudussery at a nearby distance of 6 km from this city of Kerala this temple is known for its annual festival called Vedi Utsvom.
- Thiruvalathoor- This place has got an age old temple exhibiting some stone sculptures and fine pieces of woodwork.
- Vadakkanthara Thirupurakkal Bhagavathy Temple- Located at Vadakkanthara it is among the prominent place of the Hindu religion.
Coimbatore International Airport is approximately 62 km away from the Palakkad city.
Nearest Railway Station
The city of Palakkad is quite popular among shopaholics. The market areas in the locality sell varied kinds of items like peacock vilakkus, traditional bells, hanging villakus or thooku, nila villakkus and many more. Apart from these goods, the different shops of the city even offer Tranvancore sarees, jewelry, utensils and various other kinds of Kerala souvenirs. This city is one of those cities in the state that houses maximum jewelry shops.
Last Updated on : October 15, 2013