Wayanad is a popular wildlife sanctuary in the state of Kerala. It is famous for its variety of exotic fauna like the elephant, Indian Bison, tiger, and deer. The place is ideal for different categories of tourism such as adventure tourism, recreational tourism, pilgrim tourism, and historic tourism. Wayanad comes on the route from Sulthan Battery to Mysore. The Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary was founded in 1973 and it is the second biggest wildlife reserve in Kerala. Visitors enjoy elephant rides in this reserve. Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary, also known as Muthanga Wildlife Sanctuary, is home to verdant green jungles and diverse wildlife.
Shopping in Wayanad gives you a great feeling. The place offers something for everyone and is home to a host of indigenous and regular shopping options. Shopping in Wayanad remains incomplete if you do not purchase the traditional handicraft items, Wayanad coffee, Munnar tea, and patta kodas. Wayanad is the perfect destination to buy the handicraft products that characterize Kerala. You can purchase spices and handicraft items near the Pookot Lake. The handicrafts here are mostly made of ivory, coconut shells, wood, cane, and metals. Other products such as clothing, furniture, and textiles are sold in outstanding condition and affordable prices. Jute and pottery products are also popular buys.
Places to see in and around Wayanad
- Chembra Peak- The Chembra Peak is the tallest summit in Wayanad and it is closely located to the town of Meppady. Traveling to the crest of this mountain is nearly a day-long affair and a dangerous rock climbing experience as well. The elevation of the peak is 6890 feet or 2100 meters.
- Thirunelli Temple- This historic place of worship lies on the foothills of Brahmagiri. It was devoted to Lord Vishnu by Lord Brahma as a Chatturbhuja.
- Sulthan Bathery- The Sulthan Bathery is known for its citadel constructed by Tipu Sultan.
- Edakkal Cave- The Edakkal Cave is situated at a distance of 3 km from Ambalavayal which in turn lies at a distance of 25 km from Kalpetta. The cave is famous for its awe-inspiring features.
- Kuruva Island- The Kuruva Island sprawls an area of 950 acres and houses evergreen plants. Situated on the branches of the Kabani River which runs to the east Kuruva Island is a perfect place for family outings.
- Lakkidi- Lakkidi is one of the tallest areas in the Wayanad district. The place is known for its beautiful surroundings. The distance is approximately 5 km from Vythiri to the south and around 58 km from Kozhikode to the northeast.
- Muthanga Wild Life Sanctuary- This wildlife reserve is located at a distance of 16 km from Sulthan Bathery towards the east. It enjoys the proximity of the boundary of the state of Karnataka. The Muthanga Wild Life Sanctuary encompasses a total area of 345 sq km and it is the largest habitat of fauna in the Malabar region. You will see wildlife varieties including spotted deer and tigers.
- Pakshipathalam- It is located in the Brahmagiri Mountains near Thirunelli and is a popular adventure sports location for travelers.
- Pazhassi Raja Tomb- This is the burial place of Pazhassi Raja who was nicknamed the Lion of Kerala. He spearheaded the revolt against the East India Company and this was the place of his last rites in 1805. The Pazhassi tourist resort in Mananthavady is located in north Wayanad and is a popular spot for vacationers. The place also houses a big aquarium.
- Kanthanpara Waterfalls- The Kanthanpara Waterfall is not so big like the Sentinal Rock Waterfall and is less visited. The areas bordering the waterfall are quite enjoyable. Visitors come here for picnics.
- Sentinel Rock Waterfalls- This waterfall is closely located to Chooralmala in Meppadi panchayat of Vellarimala village. It is used as a picnic area and a hiking place. The sentinel rock has an elevation of over 200 meters and is a perfect mountaineering spot.
- Soochippara Waterfalls- This waterfall is located at Soochippara close to Meppadi and offers stunning vistas of the valley of the Western Ghats.
- Banasura Sagar Dam- The Banasura Sagar Dam is the biggest earthen dam in the country.
- Pookot Lake- The Pookot Lake is a natural freshwater lake with the backdrop of verdant green hills. The Pookot lake tourist resort in Vythiri is the most preferred tourist location in the Wayanad district.
- Koottamunda Glass temple- It is devoted to Parswanatha Swami; the Third Jain Thirthankara. It is a picturesque family temple.
October to February
The closest airport is the Kozhikode International Airport at Karipur and the distance is 67 km.
Nearest Railway Station
Malayalam, English, Hindi
Last Updated on : January 14, 2014