The education system started growing with the arrival of the British missionaries in Manipur brought a change in the educational scenario of the state. Reverend Pattigrew became the first Inspector of Schools of the state in 1903 and brought many reforms strengthening the educational structure of the state. The introduction of a separate education department in 1950 was a step forward towards improved educational conditions in Manipur. Today top of the line schools, colleges, technical institutions, universities and training establishments have made Manipur one of the leading educational hubs of the north east.
Some of the schools in Manipur are:
- Amusana Girls' High School, Keinou
- Anallon Christian Institute, Charongching
- Agape Jr. High School, Sangaikot
- Ajad English School, Meitram Awang Leikai
- Alice Christian High School, Ukhrul
- Bethany Christian College, Churachandpur
- Biramangol College, Saombaong
- Canchipur College, Kyamgei
- Churachanpur College, Churachanpur
- Damdei Christan College, Kanglatombi
The Manipur University was established on 5th June 1980 under the Manipur University Act 1980 as a teaching cum-affiliating University at Imphal. In 2005, it was converted into a Central University. The Manipur University is the ultimate governing board for most of the colleges in Manipur and Manipur Institute of College - MIT. The university has a sprawling campus covering an area of 287 acres in Canchipur near Imphal. The academic officer and the chief executive of the university is the Vice Chancellor who is assisted by the Pro Vice Chancellors and the Deans. There are around 76 University-affiliated colleges in Manipur.
Manipur University has eight centers for Studies which focus on a particular stream, they are:
- Center for Study of Social Exclusion and Inclusive Policy
- Centre for Human Rights and Duties Education
- Computer Centre
- Education Multimedia Research Center
- Center for Manipur Studies
- Center for Myanmar Studies
- University Museum
- Center for Gandhian Studies
- School of Humanities
- School of Human and Environmental Science
- School of Life Sciences
- School of Mathematical and Physical Science
- School of Social Science
- School of Medical Science
List of colleges affiliated to Manipur University:
- D M College of Science, Imphal
- D M College of Commerce, Imphal
- D M College of Arts, Imphal
- D M College of Teachers' Education, Imphal
- Kha - Manipur College, Kakching
- G P Women's College, Imphal
- C I College, Bishenpur
- Nambol L.Sanoi College, Nambol
- Moirang College, Moirang
- Presidency College, Motbung
- Manipur College, Singjamei, Imphal
- Imphal College, Imphal
- Modern College, Porompat, Imphal
- Ideal Girls' College, Akampat, Imphal
- Oriental College, Takyelpat, Imphal
- M.B.College, Imphal
- Lilong Haoreibi College, Lilong
- N.G.College, Imphal
- Y K College, Wangjing
- Churachandpur College, Churachandpur
- Pettigrew College, Ukhrul
- Thoubal College, Thoubal
- Hill College, Tadubi
- Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Lamphel
- L M S Law College, Imphal
- Hindi Teachers' Training College, Imphal
- United College, Chandel
- Tamenglong College, Tamenglong
- Manipur College of Technology, Takyelpat
- DOEACC, Akampat , Imphal
- Government Polytechnic, Takyelpat, Imphal
- Government Dance College, Imphal
- Institute of Cooperative Management, Lamphelpat
Central Agricultural University Manipur
The Central Agricultural University was established by the Central Agricultural University Act in 1992 and the university became functional on 13th September 1993.The university's jurisdiction extends to the six North-Eastern Indian states with its headquarters at Imphal in Manipur. The University has a mission to be the centre of excellence in teaching, extension education and research in the field of agriculture and related sectors.
The University aspires to develop an extension and effective distribution of advanced agricultural technologies in North-East India. It acts as a vital link for converting agriculture and related profession into profitable endeavors offering food and nutritional security for the people of North-East.
Central Agricultural University has established seven colleges and three Krishi Vigyan Kendras in the six states of North-East India. They offer Undergraduate as well as Postgraduate Degree Programmes in agriculture and allied sciences. The Central Agricultural University or CAU has an importance in the overall education in Manipur.
Main Campuses of the Central Agricultural University:
- College of Veterinary Science and Animal Husbandry, Selesih, Aizawl, Mizoram
- College of Fisheries, Lembucherra, Agartala, Tripura
- College of Horticulture and Forestry, Pasighat, Arunachal Pradesh
- College of Home Science, Tura, West Garo Hills Meghalaya
- College of Agricultural Engineering and Post-Harvest Technology, Ranipool, Gangtok, Sikkim
- College of Postgraduate Studies, Barapani Shillong, Meghalaya
- College of Agriculture, Iroisemba, Imphal, Manipur
Apart from the regular courses like B.Sc, B.Tech, M.Sc, M.J and M.Tech for the Indian students, there are courses for foreign students also. The main objective of the Central Agricultural University is to open new avenues in the agricultural research of the country.
Colleges and Institutes in Manipur
Schools in Manipur
The courses offered by the colleges and institutes of Manipur are approved by the All-India Council for Technical Education. Most of the educational institute and colleges are affiliated to the Manipur University that has its campus situated in the center of the city of Imphal. Classes on law and computer applications are provided within the campus of the university. Other than the colleges that function under the Manipur University, there are other autonomous colleges and institutes at Manipur that format their own syllabus and conduct their own examination. While some of the academic institutes are private institutes, some of the colleges in the state of Manipur are set up by the government.
Most of the medical institutes and engineering colleges of the state of Manipur are located in the capital city of Imphal, which is the hub of education in the state.
Some of the colleges and institutes of the state in Imphal are listed below with the courses offered by them:
- Government Polytechnic
Courses: Civil Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics & Comm. Engineering, P. D. in Computer Application
- Central Institute of Plastics Engineering and Technology
Courses: P. D. in Plastic Mould Design
- Manipur University, Canchipur School of Sciences
Course: Master of Computer Applications
- Manipur University
- Royal Academy of Law
- Govt. Polytechnic
Course: Diploma in Pharmacy
- Manipur Institute of Management
- Government College of Technology Courses: Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics & Comm. Engineering, Civil Engineering.
Oinam Ibohal Polytechnic Imphal
Situated in the capital city of the state, the Oinam Ibohal Polytechnic Imphal is one of the premier educational colleges and institutes in Manipur. The college is situated at the Keishampat Junction in the city of Imphal. The college provides courses at the founder's level and at the advanced level in programming. The distinguished and trained faculty of the institute has arrived from the different corners of the country to provide thorough technical knowledge to the students affiliated to the institute.
The Oinam Ibohal Polytechnic College in Imphal offers a diploma course for 1 year certified as the DOEACC O Level Course. The students with higher secondary education are eligible to apply to the institute. The institute offers the students of this course the certificate of O level polytechnic engineering diploma. The diploma makes the students competent as console operators, junior and assistant programmers.
The DOEACC A Level Course conducted for a year is an advanced diploma in polytechnic engineering. The institute is reputed to have produced some of the most proficient programmers, assistants to data base manager, laboratory demonstrators, teachers and EDP officers.
The Oinam Ibohal Polytechnic College at Imphal is reputed to provide the students with instructions on the technical aspects of programming. The vocational diploma courses provided in the institute develop the skills of the students making them proficient professionals in the IT sector.
Regional Institute of Medical Sciences Imphal
Regional Institute of Medical Sciences Imphal heads the list of the eminent colleges and institutes in Manipur. Established on 14th September in the year 1972, the college aims to provide thorough medical knowledge to the students of the institute. The college is also dedicated in ameliorating the health conditions of the state of Manipur and the other North Eastern states.
The Regional Institute of Medical Sciences in Imphal was first established in the name of Regional Medical College which was later altered to North Eastern Regional Medical College in the year 1976. It was in the year 1995 when the general body of the medical society of the north eastern states decided to rename the college as the Regional Institute of Medical Sciences, Imphal. The college works under the aegis of the North Eastern Regional Medical College Society which is itself registered under the Manipur Societies Registration Act, 1989.
The administrative body of the institute comprises of two boards whose constituent members are the Chief Minister of Manipur, Vice Chancellor of Manipur University, Director General of Health of Govt. of India and the Health Commissioner of the seven beneficiary states of North India. Funded by the Government of India, the institute was earlier under the direct supervision of the Government of Manipur.
The college and the hospital comprises of the following departments:
- Community Medicine
- Clinical Biochemistry
Schools in Manipur
Most of the secondary level Schools in Manipur follow the curriculum of the CBSE and also abide by the text book lists provided by them. Besides providing textual education, the schools in Manipur provide physical education and aim towards the all round development of the students. The most popular schools in Manipur include:
- Gurukhul High School, Thangmeiband
- Bashikhong High School, B.P.O. Kitna Panung
- Bengali High School, Imphal
- Jawaharlal Nehru Model High School, Churachandpur
- H.M. English High School, Keithelmanbi
- Bethel High School, Behiang, B.P.O. Singngat
- Hamei English High School, Tamei
- Jamdal Memorial Model High School, Churachandpur
- Hanship High School, Churachandpur
- Bengoon High Madrassa, Mayang Imphal
- Islamic Baby English School, Lilong
- Bethany Christian Hr. Sec. School, Churachandpur
- Don Bosco High School, Imphal
- Bethany English High School, Senapati
- Guru Nanak Public School, Imphal
- Ithai Junior High School, Ithai
Last Updated on 15 March 2013