Madhya Pradesh Cities
The cities of Madhya Pradesh has a strong bearing on its past history and events. In most of the cities of Madhya Pradesh, we find evidences of the historical past that sings its own happy song!
Some of the major cities of Madhya Pradesh are:
- Bhopal - The city of Bhopal is the capital of Madhya Pradesh. This city of Madhya Pradesh has a university, which was founded in 1970. Bhopal got its name after Raja Bhoj who was the founder of the old city of Bhopal; the erstwhile city of Bhopal was founded by an Afghan soldier, Dost Muhammad in the 18th century.
- Indore - Indore is the commercial center of Madhya Pradesh. Among the other cities of Madhya Pradesh, this city houses a hoard of witness reflecting the historical past of Madhya Pradesh. In this city, we find a number of palaces that bears the witness of the eventful past.
- Jabalpur - The city of Jabalpur was formerly known as Jubbulpore. Local myth says that it was the birth place of Maharshi Mahesh Yogi. Situated near the Narmada river, the city is the major center of trade and commerce in Madhya Pradesh. Among the chief industries of Jabalpur are:
- telephone parts
- building materials
- ammunitions, and
- Ujjain - Ujjain is among the sacred cities of Madhya Pradesh (even in India) that houses the Mahakaleshwar temple. The city had once been the capital of the legendary kingdom of Avanti (a state described in the Buddhist chronicles).
The major cities in Madhya Pradesh are as follows:
- Gwalior - A historic city
- Bhopal - The capital of the state
- Jabalpur - Houses many tourist attractions and historical monuments
- Indore - The commercial capital of Madhya Pradesh
- Satna - Famous for its cement industry
- Sagar - A major educational hub
- Ujjain - Famous for its temples and historic places
Last Updated on : 16th March 2013