Geographic Location of Nanded:
Situated at about 18°.15' and 19°.55' North latitude and 77°.7' to 78°.15' east longitude, the area of Nanded district is about 10,422 square kilometers. The district has sixteen Talukas. They are: Mahoor, Kinwat, Himayatnagar, Hadgaon, Ardhapur, Bhokar, Nanded, Mudkhed, Umri, Dharmabad, Loha, Khairgaon, Biloli, Kandhar, Mukhed and Deglur.
Nanded district is rich in calcium, magnesium and carbonates, lime- stone and granite. One can find good quality soil in the river basin of Godavari, Mangurd, Mongia and Penganga.
Forest in Nanded:
About 8.30% of the Nanded's geographical area is covered by forests. This is 86000 hectares. Timber, firewood bamboo, grass, tendu leaves, gum, khenir wood are few of the forest produces.
Climatic Condition of Nanded:
Climate in Nanded district is usually tropical. During summer temperature raises up to 44 degree Celsius. While during winter the temperature drops to 90 degree Celsius. Nanded experiences an annual rainfall of about 1150 mm.
Time Zone in Nanded:
The time zone followed here is IST (UTC+05:30).
History of Nanded:
Nanded has a rich ancient history. Its historic existence can be traced back to the time of the Puranas of the Hindu Mythology. Nanded derived its name from Nandi-tat. Nandi-tat is believed to be the place where situated in the banks of river Godavari. According to the Hindu mythology, Nandi, vahan of Lord Shiva, performed penance at this place. Other legend states that nine rishis known as Nand performed penance in this place, so the name Nand Tat. Nanded is also a place of various historic and spiritual monuments.
Rivers and tributaries in Nanded:
Rivers that pass though Nanded are Godavari, Penganga, Monjura, Mongad, Asna, Sita, Saraswati and Lendi.
Languages spoken in Nanded:
Marathi, Hindi, Urdu, Telugu and Kannada Andh are the languages chiefly used in Nanded.
Demographics of Nanded:
According to 2011 census, the population of the district was 3,356,566. Majority of the population resides in the rural areas. As compared to other districts of Maharashtra, the literacy rate in of Nanded is low.
Economy of Nanded: Nanded predominantly is an agrarian economy. The district is not properly industrialized. Principal Kharif crops cultivated in this region are jowar and cotton. Other kharif crops produced are paddy, tur, mung, urid, etc. Chief Rabi crops are jowar and wheat.
As far as horticulture is concerned, Nanded is famous for sweet lime and bananas. Banana and sugarcane are grown all round the year. Other primary horticultural products of the district are custard apple, oranges and sugarcane.
Other than agriculture dairy farming, poultry farming and goat rearing, fishery are also significant means of resources for Nanded.
Education in Nanded:
- Various educational institutions situated in Nanded, some of them are:
- Swami Ramanand Teerth College of Education, Kandhar
- Yeshwant College, Nanded
- Shri. Sant Gadge Maharaj Mahavidyalaya, Loha
- Shri. Shivaji College of Arts, Comm. & Science, Kandhar
- Pansare Mahavidyalaya, Arjapur
- Netaji Subhashchandra Bose College, Nanded
There are several tourist spots in Nanded district, which are really worth paying a visit. Some of the tourist spots are:
- Nanded Fort: This magnificent fort is located at a distance of about 4.024 kilometers from Nanded Railway Station. The fort is bordered by the Godavari River. There is also a sprawling garden in this fort.
- Hottal is the other tourist place in Nanded district. Located in Degloor Taluka, the place shelters the well-known Temple of Lord Siddheshwar.
- Takhat Sachkhand Shri Hazur Abchalnagar Sahib is the religious attraction of Nanded. It is said that Shri Guru Gobind Singh ji breathed his last in this Gurdwara. The Gurdwara of Nanded Town was constructed by Maharaja Ranjit Singhji during the period of 1830 to 1839 A.D. On entering the Gurdwara one will get to see weapons and also the mortal remains of the 10th Sikh Guru.
- Shrikshetran Mahurgad is known as Mahur and Thrid Shakipeeth in Maharashtra. It is located in Nanded district at a distance of about one and half mile from the village.
- Renukadevi Temple is situated about 2.5-km away from the Mahur village lies the Renuka Devi temple on a hillock.
- Parli Vaijnath located at Parli Vaijnath is about 130-km from Nanded.
- Hazrat Nawab Sarfaraz Khan Sahid Masjid of Hazrat Nawab Sarfaraz Khan Sahid built about 330 years back is situated in Biloli Town.
- Unkeshvar is located on the bank of river Penganga.
- Kandhar was built during the reign of Rashtrakutas.
- Malegaon is a small village in Loha Taluka.
- Hujursahet Gurudwara built in memory of Shri Guru Gobind Singh.
- Hotel Chandralok (3 Star)
- Hotel Ramakrishna International (3 Star)
- Hotel Anuradha Palace (Budget)
- By Air: Hyderabad situated at a distance of 284 Kilometers is the nearest international airport to Nanded.
- By Rail: Nanded is a Divisional Headquarters of South Central Railway. Trains for Nanded are available from Mumbai, Aurangabad, Hyderabad, Bangalore, Pune and Amritsar.
- By Road: If one takes the road to reach Nanded from Mumbai it is situated at a distance of 650 kilometers east. Within 6 hours one can reach from Nanded to Aurangabad, while it takes 11 hours to reach from Pune to Hyderabad.