The district is in the eastern part of the region of Vagwar or Vagad. This former princely state was governed by the Maharavals. In 1949 the princely state became part of Greater Rajasthan and became a separate district.
The nearest railway station is Ratlam Junction which is 80 kilometers away. The nearest airport is at Udaipur city located 160 kilometers from the town of Banswara.
The main inhabitants of the district are tribals like the Ninamas, Bhil Meenas, Bhils, Charpotas and Bhils. The population of the district is around 15,01,589 according to the 2001 census. The population of males is around 7,60,686 and that of females is around 7,40,903.
Banswara district is subdivided into three sub divisions, eight development blocks and five tehsils. The eight development blocks are Kushalgarh, Anandpuri, Ghatol, Talwara, Peepalkhunt, Bagidora, Sajjangarh and Garhi. The district also has 28 ILR Circles, 307 Gram Panchayats, 1474 revenue villages and 215 Patwar Mandals.
Some of the important tourist destinations in Banswara are Anand Sagar Lake, Mahi Dam, Kagdi Pick Up Weir, Madareshwar, Talwara, Shri Raj Mandir, Diablab Lake, Shri Sai Baba Mandir, Andeshwar (Jain Temple), Abdulla Pir, Paraheada, Tripura Sundari, Ram Kund, Bhim Kund, Arthuna and Chheench
Last Updated on : 16 January 2012