Meghalaya is a major state in Northeast India. It is regarded as one of the Seven Sister States of India. Meghalaya information refers to all the useful information concerning the state of Meghalaya such as its government, people, population, climate, economy, history, weather, and the utility companies offering different types of public utility services to the people of the state. The state encompasses a total area of 22,429 km2 or 8,772.2 sq miles.
Meghalaya capital is Shillong. It is situated at a height of 1496 meter above sea level. Shillong was originally Assam's capital from 1874 to January 1974. After the formation of Meghalaya state in India, Shillong became its capital. The city owes its name to its creator named Shulong, who is known for his democratic governance in Shillong, a princely state.
Some important places of the capital in Meghalaya are as follows:
Cherrapunjee: It is located in a rain-belt, at a distance of 56 kms from the capital and at a height of 1,300 meters above sea level. Some waterfalls like the famous Nohsngithiang falls flowing down the deep gorges are the major attraction of the place.
Shillong Peak: This important destination of the capital of Meghalaya is situated at a distance of 10 kms from the Shillong city at a height of 1965 meters above sea level. It represents the highest point of Meghalaya. A splendid view of the countryside makes this place a popular picnic spot .
Sohpetbneng Peak: It is located at a distance of 20 kms from Shillong and is 1,343 meter high. The Hynniewtrep people consider it sacred.
The railhead and airport closest to Meghalaya capital are located at Guwahati in Assam. The two cities of Shillong and Guwahati are linked by the Guwahati-Shilong Road. This road is bordered on both the sides by pine trees and pineapple plantations. Buses are available at a gap of half an hour between the cities of Shillong and Guwahati. Taxis are an affordable means of transport.
Meghalaya cities forms the main destinations in Meghalaya tourism. In fact, it is through a tour to these cities in Meghalaya that one can come across the inherent culture of Meghalaya.
- Shillong - Shillong is the capital city of Meghalaya. The city, situated at about 1,520 meters, is the district headquarter of the East Garo Hills District. Moreover, Shillong, among the other cities in Meghalaya is also referred to as the 'Scotland of the East'. Shillong derives its name from the titular God of the region, 'Leishyllong'.
In Shillong, we come across a number of spots which attracts tourists throughout the year. Some such destinations in Shillong are:
- Shillong Peak
- Ward's Lake
- Umiam Lake
- Sohpetbneng Peak
- Botanical Garden, etc.
- Tura - Tura is the most picturesque city among the other cities of Meghalaya. In fact, the sunset view at the Tura Peak at about 1,400 meters seems to be the most happening tourist spots in Meghalaya. Besides, in Tura, like the other cities at Meghalaya, we come across destinations that deserve special mention in Meghalaya tourism. Among such destinations are:
- Naphak Lake,
- Siju Caves,
- Williamnagar, etc.
The Meghalaya districts include East Garo Hills, West Garo Hills, West Khasi Hills, Jaintia Hills, East Khasi Hills, Ri-Bhoi and South Garo Hills. All of them are easily communicable from the rest of the state of Meghalaya. Some important information about them are given below:
- East Garo Hills: It is one of the districts in Meghalaya surrounded on the east by the East Khasi Hills, on the west by the West Garo Hills, on the south by the South Garo Hills and on the north by the Assam state. The airport closest to this place is the Lokapriya Gopinath Bordoloi International Airport of Guwahati.
- West Garo Hills: It stands in the western portion of Meghalaya. Being one of the major districts of Meghalaya, the buses run by Meghalaya Transport Corporation connect it with Tura and Shillong.
- West Khasi Hills: It stands in the central portion of Meghalaya. The airport closest to the place is located at Guwahati, which is 124 kms away from Shillong.
- Jaintia Hills: It stands at the eastern edge of Meghalaya. It is bordered by Bangladesh on the south, Assam on the east and north and the East Khasi Hills on the west. The headquarter of Jaintia Hills, Jowaiof, is linked with both Silchar and Shillong through the National Highway 44.
- East Khasi Hills: It stands in the central region of Meghalaya. Shilong is connected with Silchar (240 kms) and Guwahati (103 kms) via National Highway 44.
- Ri-Bhoi: Nongpoh is the headquarter of Ri Bhoi, which is 50 kms away from Guwahati and 53 kms away from Shillong. Guwahati is linked with Nongpoh by roadways.
- South Garo Hills: It is the newest of the districts at Meghalaya and is situated in its southern part. It is connected with Tura and Shillong by roadways.
The capital of Meghalaya is Shillong. The languages spoken by the people of Meghalaya are Garo, Khasi and English. The literacy rate is about 48.26%.
The geographical name of Meghalaya in India is Shillong Plateau or Meghalaya Plateau. Meghalaya has the oldest rock formations. The Jaintia hills, Khasi, Garo and the Assam ranges constitute Meghalaya. The state is actually the detached extension of Peninsular India in the north-east. The height of the dissected Meghalaya Plateau varies between 150 meters and 1961 meters above sea level.
The major groups of people in Meghalaya of India are the Garo in the east and west Garo hills, the Khasi-Pnar in the Jaintia hills and the east and west Khasi hills.
Meghalaya was declared an autonomous state in the year 1970. It became an Indian state on January 21, 1972. Meghalaya is located between Bangladesh in the south and the Brahmaputra valley in the north and north-eastern part of India.10% of Meghalaya area is used up in cultivation. The major crops are rice, potato, pineapple, maize, banana, etc.
Last Updated on 11 March 2013