Auto Expo 2016
The Auto Expo is a biennial automotive show that is held each year in the National Capital Region. It is supposed to be the largest of its kind in Asia as well as the second biggest in the world. The event is a joint organizational effort of Automotive Component Manufacturers Association (ACMA), Society of Indian Automobile Manufacturers (SIAM) and Confederation of Indian Industry (CII). In a nutshell this is the best event for showcasing the automobiles that are expected to play a major part in India’s personal and commercial transportation scenario in the days ahead. It was originally conceived during 1985 and staged a year later. The first event served as a window where technologies could be transferred. It was an attempt to exhibit the extent to which the-then automotive industry in India was taking in new technologies and fostering R&D activities within the local setup.
This year’s dates
There would be two components of the programme this time around. The Auto Expo Motor Show will be held from 5th-9th February at the India Expo Mart in Greater Noida. The Auto Expo Components show will be organized at the Pragati Maidan from 4th to 7th February.
Most-awaited automobiles at Auto Expo 2016
- In a way, cars are the star attractions and highlights of the bi-yearly event. Maruti Vitara Brezza is going to be one of the most awaited cars at the 2016 Auto Expo. It is the first sub-4 metre compact SUV to be launched in India by Maruti Suzuki in 2016. Hyundai Sub-Compact SUV will also mark Hyundai India’s entry in the segment and is an absolutely-new model. It will go up against the likes of Mahindra TUV300 and Ford EcoSport. Honda BRV is another compact SUV looking to make its mark at this year’s Auto Expo. It features the newest design language of Honda.
- Chevrolet will also offer its new generation cars at the event. The list includes names such as the new generation Beat apart from Camaro and Corvette, which are regarded as more iconic and ornate offerings of the organization. Datsun GO-Cross is one of the most exciting cars from the company in the upcoming Auto Expo. It is basically a concept crossover car. The New Generation Audi R8, expected to be launched in India in 2017, will be showcased at the Auto Expo as well. It is a well-known sports car and features some stylish design.
- Mercedes-Benz S-Class Cabriolet features design cues that are similar to S 500 Coupe but its styling is lot distinct from other cars. It also has an intelligent climate control system referred to as Thermotronic. Jaguar XE is a sedan and is expected to be one of the most economical ones of its kind. It is also the first car with a monocoque frame that has lot of aluminium. Jeep Grand Cherokee from Fiat will have a Pentastar V6 engine that runs on petrol and weighs 3.6 litres with 305 bhp. Ford Mustang comes to India following extensive testing by the company in the country. It has a special right hand drive that is designed mainly for markets in India and the UK.
- United Motorcycles will launch two bikes at the Auto Expo 2016 – UM Renegade Commando India and UM Renegade Sports S India. Commando comes with a single cylinder engine that weighs 300 CC and Sports S is basically a compact cruiser bike. Hero will launch Hero HX 250R and Hero Zir. Hero HX 250R is the first bike that the company built after it was separated from Honda and Zir is expected to give Hero an advantage in the segment for 150 CC scooters.
- This year Honda will debut two motorcycles – Honda CBR300R and Honda CBR500R – and a scooter – Honda PCX 150. CBR300R has a 286 CC engine and CBR500R has a 471 CC engine. The main advantage of PCX 150 will be its ability to be used for long journeys. The 2016 Auto Expo will see three bikes from Yamaha – Yamaha M-Slaz, Yamaha MT-10, and Yamaha R1-S. M-Slaz is primarily R15’s street version. MT-10 has been described as a naked version of R1. R1-S is basically an economical avatar of R1.
- Ducati will launch a couple of bikes at the ensuing Auto Expo – Ducati XDiavel, also known as Power Cruiser, and Ducati 959 Panigale. XDiavel comes with a 1266 CC engine and 959 Panigale is expected to act as 899 Panigale’s replacement. Suzuki will also introduce the dual disc variant of Suzuki Gixxer and Suzuki Gixxer 250. Gixxer has already been quite popular in India and with its double disc variant the company is only looking to add to the appeal. Gixxer 250 is a 250 CC variant of the synonymous bike.
- TVS is expected to launch 4 new bikes – TVS Apache RTR 200, the new TVS Victor, TVS-BMW G 310 R, and Apache RTR 180 Facelift. Apache RTR 200 has been created on the basis of Velocity concept. The newer version of TVS Victor has a 110 CC engine. BMW G 310 R features a 313 CC engine. Apache RTR 180 Facelift is basically a facelifted edition of the previous synonymous bike.
- Mahindra Mojo ABS is basically a version of the synonymous bike that comes with ABS facilities. It has been developed for years and has been appreciated highly. Triumph Motorcycles will launch a couple of bikes – Bonneville and Speed Triple. It will also launch an improved version of Thruxton, which itself is Bonneville’s café racer version. DSK Benelli will launch a couple of bikes – DSK Benelli Tornado 302 and DSK Benelli Leoncino. Benelli Tornado 302 is TNT 300’s fully-faired edition and Leoncino is being touted as a straightforward opponent of Ducati Sixty2.
The target audience of the Auto Expo is basically the car lovers across India. This primarily includes rich people who like to own cars for personal usage as well as ones who use them for commercial purposes. People who are interested in cars, but otherwise not always able to buy them are also targeted since they can review the cars and bikes on various blogs and social media platforms and thus generate more information and awareness about the products. The wealth of information regarding the event ensures that people get to know about the advantages and features of all new cars and thus are able to act as informed buyers. Explore More :
- Auto Expo 2016 : Day 3 & 4 Highlights
- Exclusive Photographs from Auto Expo 2016
- Auto Expo 2016 Action on Day 1 and Day 2
- Rise of Luxury Cars in India
- Most Awaited Bikes in India in 2016
- Photographs from Auto Expo – 2014
- Outdoor Stunts At The Auto Expo 2014
- Top 10 Cars under Rs. 5 lakh in India
- Automotive blogs of the world
- Driverless Automobile: Anticipations and Apprehensions