Auto Expo 2016 Action on Day 3 & 4
Action continues at the Auto Expo 2016 with record footfalls attending the mega display. Saturday saw over 1.2 lakh visitors and Sunday is expected to witness a larger turnout. Celebrities like Sachin Tendulkar who happens to be the brand ambassador to BMW, John Abraham – the brand ambassador for Nissan and Yamaha, actress Katrina Kaif, Indian Captain Virat Kohli and fast bowler Zaheer Khan, were among the stars adding to the already glamourous auto line up.
Almost segments in 4-wheeler passenger cars, 2-wheeler scooters and motorcycles, Buses, and the entire range of light, medium and heavy commercial vehicles have seen unveiling of new models.
Tata Motors has been active with its show of aggressive intent to capture market share in not just passenger cars but to consolidate its hold in the commercial vehicle and bus space.
M&M too has been very aggressive focusing on covering the spectrum of SUV options, along with its range of scooters.
The two wheeler space has been red hot with competition picking up both in scooter and motorcycle space and the Indian enthusiast now has a slew of road hugging options from utility two wheelers to premium sports range.
While this year has seen over 80 launches, we continue to bring some of the models that drew attention:
Tata is making its entry into the sub-compact SUV space with the Tata Nexon and will be directly competing with Maruti’s Vitara Brezza, Mahindra TUV300, and Ford EcoSport. This is a segment that is showing lot of potential in international markets as well, and Tata Motors has developed the Nexon for style and features keeping the international market in mind. Tata Nexon is built on the same X1 platform on which the Bolt and Zest has been developed.
- 1.2 litre petrol, 3 cylinder Revotron with turbocharger churning out 90 bhp @ 5000 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 140 Nm @ 1500 – 4000 rpm
- Transmission: 5 speed manual
- 1.3 litre Multijet diesel engine churning out 90 bhp @ 4000 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 200 Nm @ 1750 – 3000 rpm
- Transmission: 5 speed manual ; 5 speed AMT likely to be launched later
- Seating: 5
- Length: 3,900 mm
- Price: Rs 6.50 lakh to Rs 10 lakh
Mahindra KUV100 – Xplorer
M&M has done a great job in taking market share in the SUV category with the XUV500 and is now creating further space with its TUV 300 and KUV100 series.
The 5- seater KUV100 – Xplorer has been built on a monocoque chassis and sports 2 engine versions.
- The mFalcon G80 is a 1.2 litre petrol engine, 3 cylinder engine churning out 82 bhp @ 5500 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 114 Nm
- The D75 1.2 litre turbocharged diesel 3 cylinder engine churns out 77 bhp @3725 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 190 Nm
- Transmission: 5 speed manual for both engines ; may get 5 speed AMT later
- Price: starting Rs 4.42 lakh – Petrol ; starting Rs 5.22 lakh – Diesel
This compact SUV from Honda has been designed at their Thailand R&D centre. With the BR-V, Honda is all set to take on the popular Renault Duster and Hyundai Creta and will come in 7 seater three row options.
- 1.5 litre, 4 cylinder i-VTEC engine churning out 119.6 bhp
- Maximum Torque: 145 Nm
- Transmission: 6 speed manual ; 6 speed CVT options
- 1.5 litre, 4 cylinder diesel engine
- Transmission: 6 speed manual ; AMT
- Seating: 5
- Expected price: Rs 8 lakh – Rs 14 lakh
This sub-4 meter compact sedan from Volkswagen is based on the Polo and will take on the likes of Maruti Dzire, Tata Zest, Hyundai Accent and Honda Amaze.
- 1.2 litre, 3 cylinder petrol engine churns out 74 bhp. At a later date, Volkswagen is likely to introduce the GT version.
- Maximum Torque: 110 Nm
- 1.5 litre, 4 cylinder diesel engine churning out 89 bhp.
- Maximum Torque: 230 Nm
- Transmission: 5 speed manual and mated to the front wheel
- Expected price: starting Rs 6.25 lakh – petrol ; starting Rs 8.25 lakh – diesel
Fiat Avventura Urban Cross
Fiat is making as serious bid at gaining market share in India after having failed in its two previous attempts. This time Fiat is coming up with a competitive range of vehicles in several segments. The Urban Cross is based on the Avventura platform, and is expected to compete with Maruti Suzuki Ignis and Mahindra KUV100.
- Dimensions: 4000 mm (L) x 1700 mm (W) x 1500 mm (H)
- Engine: 1.4 litre T-jet petrol churning out 140 bhp @ 5500 rpm
- Maximum Torque: 210 Nm @ 2000-4000 rpm
- Wheels: 17 inch alloy
FUN riding has been redefined by Honda when it unveiled an entirely new concept called NAVI. Designed and developed completely in India, a first for Honda, it is a unique product that combines the feature of both scooter and motorcycle and is targeting the youth element for city driving conditions. It will be available in 3 variants – Street, Adventure and Off-Road.
- Engine: 4-stroke single cylinder, 110 cc Honda HET churns out a healthy 8 PS of power and offers 8.96 Nm of Maximum Torque.
- Engine Start-up: Ignition switch and Kick start
- Tyre: 12 inch – front ; 10 inch – rear
- Brake: Drum brakes on both wheel and comes with telescopic front forks.
- Expected price: Rs 39,500 ex-Showroom, Delhi
According to Bajaj, this part Motorbike; part War hero is made from parts salvaged from the iconic and now retired INS Vikrant, India’s first aircraft carrier, and will carry the INS Vikrant insignia on the fuel tank. The 125-150 cc bike segment has seen a strong demand catering to city commuting and Bajaj V is a strong statement within this segment with an engine that gives out at least 25% more Torque than its competitors in the 125 cc segment.
The initial production is expected to be around 20,000 units per month which can be ramped up later based on market response. Bajaj V is expected to compete with Honda CB Unicorn 160, Hero Achiever, Yamaha SZ-RR
- Engine: 150 cc DTSi, churning maximum power of 11.76 bhp
- Maximum Torque: 13 Nm
- Tyre: 18 inch Eurogrip – front ; 16 inch – rear
Explore More :
- Exclusive Photographs from Auto Expo 2016
- Auto Expo 2016 : Day 1 and Day 2 - Highlights
- Auto Expo 2016
- Rise of Luxury Cars in India
- Most Awaited Bikes in India in 2016
- Photographs from Auto Expo – 2014
- Outdoor Stunts At The Auto Expo 2014
- Top 10 Cars under Rs. 5 lakh in India
- Automotive blogs of the world
- Driverless Automobile: Anticipations and Apprehensions