Rice and dal are staples throughout India, they are used in different forms and often served together. One such recipe from the South of India is Adai Dosa. It is slightly different from the regular dosa as the batter is made with rice and various kinds of dal mixed together. It tastes different and goes well with sambhar or coconut chutney. The rice and dal are soaked together for few hours before being ground to a batter and being cooked to make dosa. Since dal is a good source of proteins this is a healthy dish to include in your family’s diet. You can look to serve these in breakfast or even main course. Just use this simple Adai Dosa Recipe and enjoy a great South Indian taste.
All you need is (serves 4)
- Rice – 1 cup
- Toor dal – 1/2 cup
- Dhuli moong dal – 1/2 cup
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Chana dal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1/4 cup
- Green chili – 1
- Oil for frying
Adai Dosa Recipe
Preparation time: 20 min + soaking time.
Cooking time: 20 min.
- Mix the rice with all the dal and soak in water for 3-4 hours.
- Drain the water, grind the remaining contents along with onion, green chili, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and little water to make a smooth batter.
- Add some green coriander and mix well.
- Heat a non stick dosa tava, pour about 2-3 tbsp batter in the middle and spread evenly to form a circle (about 6-7 inch).
- Pour little oil on the sides and cook till golden brown, turn over and cook for another min.
- Serve hot with chutney or sambhar.
You can add some grated carrot or other vegetables to have different taste and make it more healthy.