If you have walked through the busy streets of Kolkata, you would know what I’m about to talk about. Jhal Muri is one of the easiest made street food sold in this city, it is very similar to bhel puri made in the northern and western India. Since it literally needs no cooking, it can be made within minutes just by mixing the ingredients. Talking about what to add, that also is a lot up to you, the primary ingredient is however muri or puffed rice while you could add vegetables like boiled potatoes, tomatoes, onions, green chili, fresh coriander and more. This recipe is great when you have short notice to serve guests or if you are not in a mood to cook on the gas stove. Jhal Muri goes well in snacks and keeps you full for a couple of hours. So go ahead and enjoy this it with this Jhal Muri Recipe.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Puffed rice or moori – 2 cups
- Peanuts – 2 to 3 tbsp ( roasted )
- Tomato – 1/4 cup ( chopped )
- Boiled potato – 1/4 cup ( cut into cubes )
- Green chili – 2 tbsp ( chopped )
- Sev – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1/4 cup ( chopped )
- Chanachur – 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice – 2 tbsp
- Green coriander – 2 tbsp ( chopped )
- Fresh coconut – 2 tbsp ( grated )
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Rock salt – 1 tbsp
- Mustard oil – 1 tbsp
How to make Jhal Muri
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Making time: 5 minutes
- Slightly roast the puffed rice in a pan.
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Add the roasted puffed rice.
- Mix well.
- Adjust salt and serve immediately so it does not get soggy.