Kerala Style Fish Fry Recipe
Fish is extensively consumed in India. It is used much more in the coastal states, where it is considered a staple. The southern Indian state of Kerala is famous for its extensive water bodies including lakes and back waters, bearing fish for its local fishermen which is consumed locally and also distributed across India. Fish in Kerala is called meen and fish fry is commonly known as meen varuthathu. The distinct flavor comes from the use of coconut in the marinating, which is another famous fruit from Kerala and is grown and used extensively here. The fish is also fried using coconut oil to give it traditional Kerala taste. Fish is rich in vitamins A and D and various nutrients like phosphorus and is considered good for health. Kerala Fish Fry goes well with rice and any other curry and lends an amazing taste to the meal. You can even choose to serve it as a starter. It’s fairly easy to make. So get a fresh fish and try this recipe for Kerala Fish Fry!
Ingredients needed for Kerala Style Fish Fry
- Any medium-sized fish – 2-3
- Ginger garlic paste – 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut powder – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil for frying
How to make Kerala Style Fish Fry
- Add ginger garlic paste, garam masala, coconut powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, black pepper powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add little water and make a paste.
- Apply this paste on both sides of the fish.
- Keep covered for an hour.
- Add a little coconut oil in a pan.
- Shallow fry the fish from both the sides till golden brown.
- Serve hot.