Jodhpur, Mumbai make it to Most Inspiring Cities’ list
Sun-drenched Miami, in the USA, famed for its colourful art deco buildings, white sand, surfside hotels and trendsetting nightclubs, has topped the 2016 list of the world’s most inspiring cities. The Inspiring Cities Ranking is run by TravelBird with the aim of inspiring the intrepid travellers to travel to the right city where the experience will be soul stirring and stimulating. The three cities following at close heels with the status of the most inspiring city in the world are:
- Bruges in northwest Belgium, distinguished by its canals, cobbled streets and medieval buildings, came second.
- The hilly city of San Francisco in Northern California, kissed by the aquamarine waters of the Pacific ocean, and known for the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, cable cars, colourful Victorian houses, and the burgeoning tech scene, stood at the third place.
- The birthplace of Banksy, Bristol in South West England, praised for its vibrant arts scene and museums, came fourth.
- The other cities making it to the top ten of the most inspiring cities include Reykjavik, Iceland; Santiago de Compostela, Spain; Salzburg, Austria; Zurich, Switzerland; Heidelberg, Germany; and Florence, Italy.
London, Paris and New York failed to make it to the top ten.
Jodhpur and Mumbai make it to the list of 2016 Most Inspiring Cities
The good news for India is that Jodhpur and Mumbai have found a spot in the list of most inspiring cities of the world in 2016.
- Jodhpur in Rajasthan, known as the Sun City, founded in the year 1459 by Rao Jodha, is famous for its magnificent forts and palaces. Jodhpur stood at the 76th position.
- Mumbai, Maharashtra, India’s largest city and the financial hub, with a rich cultural as well as historical heritage including the Gateway of India stone arch, the ancient Elephanta Island with ancient cave temples, and the heart of the Bollywood film industry, stood at the 83rd position.
Quantifying something like inspiration certainly isn’t easy, but eventually, TravelBird settled on six separate criteria which are associated with the spirit of creativity, romance, culture and innovation.
TravelBird judged 85 cities on the following criteria:
- Creativity of the city was measured by the number of performing arts companies and art schools.
- The number of art galleries and museums helped assess the cultural heritage of the city.
- Music production and film industry facilities helped measure the creativity of the cities.
- Number of new businesses in the cities helped arrive at the startup ranking.
- Romance, of course, is an integral part of inspiration and TravelBird through Google searches of keywords like romantic locations or dinners, assessed how frequently people are romantically inspired by the city.
- The Overall Inspiration Ranking is scored out of 100.
TravelBird also took population of the city and the best season to visit the city into consideration before finalising the list of the most Inspiring Cities of 2016.
Travelling is the best form of education, for it inspires, and exploring new places helps one learn about new things like culture, history; the possibilities of inspiration for a traveller are indeed endless. The 2016 Most Inspiring Cities have historically inspired countless travellers, artists, and residents alike. It is time to plan a trip to any of these cities. And for us Indians, it should begin with Jodhpur and Mumbai. Happy Travelling!
Cultures and traditions of Jodhpur
Jaswant Thada, Jodhpur – Taj Mahal of Marwar
Mehrangarh Fort, Jodhpur
Mumbai Gets Its First Under-the-Flyover Garden
How about Spending a Weekend at Madh Island, Mumbai?
Film City Mumbai, the magical land of Mumbai
Mesmerising sunsets at the beaches in Mumbai