The state government of Orissa has taken steps to improve the tourism prospects of the sea beaches. The tourists can swim across the high waves of Bay of Bengal or enjoy sunbath on the sandy beaches of the sea side. Puri, Chandipur, Golpalpur and Talasari are some of the prominent beaches of the state that are always flocked by tourists.
The Puri Festival of Puri is a special attraction for the tourists. The Puri Festival displays the rich cultural heritage and traditional legacy of the state through the brilliant performances of the artists of Odissi dance and classical music.
Far from the maddening crowd and hustle bustle of the city life, the serene and calm surrounding of the beaches of Orissa relieves the tourists from the stress and strains of daily mundane life. The beaches are easily accessible by good roads and well laid railway tracks from all parts of the country.
One of the prominent Odisha beaches, Aryapalli is located at a distance of 6 km and 30 km from Chatrapur and Berhampur respectively. The golden sandy beaches, deep blue sea and salubrious weather represent the beautiful place of Aryapalli. An important place of tourist interest, the enchanting beach draws several visitors through out the year who are absolutely thrilled with the captivating beauty of the place.
Aryapalli beach provides the tourists with a wonderful opportunity to enjoy the natural splendor of Orissa. The sunrise and sunset on the beach casts a magical spell on the spectators who are bewitched by the captivating beauty of Aryapalli. The tourists can enjoy a sunbath on the clean beach of the place. Those who want to add a bit of adventure in their trip to Aryapalli can swim in the tumultuous water of the sea.
Balaramgadi of Orissa offers the tourists with a wonderful opportunity to experience the convergence of the mighty River Budhabalanga with the deep blue sea of Bay of Bengal. One of the notable Orissa beaches, Balaramgadi is situated at a stone's throw distance of just 2 km from the beach of Chandipur.
Golden sandy beaches, turbulent water of the sea and the cool sea side breeze represent the exotic beach of Balaramgadi. A natural health resort of the state, the fresh and pollution free air relieves the tourist from the stress and strains of daily mundane life. The sunrise and sunset on the beach casts a magical spell on the tourists. A walk on the sand rejuvenates the visitors with renowned energy and vigor.
The clean beach offers the tourists with a unique scope to experience sunbath on the sandy beaches of Balaramgadi. A swim in the tumultuous water of the sea fills the tourist with an utmost sense of excitement and thrill.
Balighai beach of Orissa is situated at a stone's throw distance of just 8 km from the famous place of Puri. A well known tourist destination, Balighai provides the tourists with a wonderful opportunity to experience the convergence of the calm river with the tumultuous sea.
An ideal place to spend time with family and friends in the midst of nature, Balighai is frequented by several tourists from far and wide who are absolutely awed by the natural splendor of the place. The salubrious weather, exotic sea beach and confluence of the swift flowing river with the turbulent sea represent the beautiful place of Balighai.
The tourists can enjoy a pleasant sunbath on the neat and clean sea side beach of the area. One can explore the bounty of nature by riding on the boat. The interested tourists can swim across the turbulent waves of the sea and refresh their mind, body and soul with renewed energy and vigor.
Baliharachandi beach of Orissa is situated at a short distance of just 27 km from the famous place of Puri. Salubrious weather, vast stretches of sandy beach and turbulent sea represent the picturesque landscape of Baliharachandi.
The vast coastline appears awesome during the sunrise and sunset that casts a magical spell on the tourists. The tourists can enjoy sunbath on the quite and isolated sea beach of Baliharachandi. A swim across the tumultuous sea is a real delight for those tourists who want to add a bit of adventure in their trip to the enchanting place.
Chandipur is one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. The sea beaches of Chandipur have succeeded in attracting tourists from all over the world. The Chandipur beach has its own unique character which sets it apart from all other beaches of India.
The most interesting feature of the sea at the Chandipur beach is the way it retreats almost 5 Kilometers twice a day. As the sea recedes back, the horizon broadens and the soft, moist, tempting sand becomes an ideal place for the tourists to sit back and enjoy the tranquil aspect of nature. The rare sight of the waves caressing towards the shore and the dazzling sun light are sure to captivate any body who visits this place. The hide and seek of the sea is complimented by the musical swing of the casuarina trees which are an integral part of the Chandipur beach and borders the sea shore all through.
There are a number of interesting places that one can visit from the Chandipur beach, these include:
- The Khirachora Gopinath Shrine in Remuna
- Kuldiha Wildlife Sanctuary
- Jagannath Temple in Nilagiri
- Bhudara Chandi Shrine in Sajanagarh
- Simlipal National Park
- Shakti Shrine of Deokund
The Chandrabhaga beach in Orissa is one of its biggest asset both from the aspect of the tourism industry and the history of the place. The beaches of Orissa play a dominant role in their history and Geography and the Chandrabhaga beach in Orissa is intrinsically linked to the past of the region. The golden sand and the casurina trees add to the natural glamor of the beach. But the biggest claim to fame of the Chandrabhaga beach is the Konarak Temple or the Sun Temple.
Originally, the waters of the Chandrabhaga beach used to flow towards the celebrated sculpted wheel on the Konarak Temple but today, the Sea has shifted and it is almost 2 Kilometers away from the Temple. Being the site of such a historical and religious monument, the Chandrabhaga beach in Orissa attracts a lot of tourists who come to get a glimpse of this architecturally beautiful and antique piece of history.
Located at a distance of 186 Kilometers from the capital city of Bhubaneshwar, the Gopalpur beach in Orissa is an ideal place to relax amidst a natural surroundings. The serene atmosphere and the pristine beaches creates the perfect tranquil atmosphere for rejuvenating ones mind and soul.
A paradise for marine lovers, the Gopalpur beach is the site of an ancient Sea port and the ancient light house on the beach stands as a memento of the bygone era. The biggest asset of the Gopalpur beach is its virgin nature. Still largely unexplored, the Gopalpur beach in the Southern part of the state of Orissa is a hub of local fishermen. It is probably this natural setting of the Gopalpur beach and the vibrant local life style, that captivates the tourist most.
- Location: On the beautiful coast of the vast Bay of Bengal lies the Astranga Beach. It is located around 91 km from the city of Puri in the state of Odisha, India. Devi River is right on the entrance of the beach.
- Attractions: The Astaranga Beach is a lovely little fishing centre of Puri. Visitors here are attracted to the sand, which is ordinarily white but the sunset turns the color to golden. In the early morning, one can watch the fishing business and the boatmen, who carry fresh fish to the market in their traditional boats.
- Activity: One can stroll down the sandy beach in the evenings and witness the spectacular display presented by the setting sun.
- Location: The Talsari beach is located on the Bay of Bengal, close to the Subarnarekha River. The beach is in the Balasore district of the state of Odisha, India. It is around 6 km from Digha, which lies on the Odisha-Bengal border.
- Attractions: The beach is a lesser known place, so there is not much rush here. The place is famous for its red crabs, which are small in size and look quite attractive.
- Activity: There are many things that you can indulge in on the Talsari beach. You can take long walks on the beautiful beach and enjoy the vicinity of nature. One can also take a boat ride in the calm waters. Then there is the Chandaneshwar Temple, which is worth visiting.
- Location: The Pati Sonapur Beach is right on the confluence of the mighty Bay of Bengal and the river Bahuda. It is located in the district of Behrampur in the state of Odisha, India.
- Attractions: One can visit the ruined custom houses of the past, as the place was once the chief shipping center in the 18th century. If you wish, you can also visit the lighthouse which is around one km away and was built in 1871. The main attraction is the beach itself, which is worth spending the day at.
- Activity: The beach is a calm and quiet place to relax or enjoy a day with friends or family. One can indulge in water sports like paddle boats, water scooter, etc. Various stalls and small shacks can be seen offering a variety of food items.
- Location: Malud is a small place situated in the district of Puri in the state of Odisha, India. It takes 2 to 3 hours to reach Puri from Malud. The place is an important beach that faces the Bay of Bengal.
- Attraction: Although it is a small place, the beach of Malud is one that will definitely capture your attention. The beach is pristine and the white sands are have a silky and clean look. One can spend the evening watching the sun set with its rich colors. The temple of Dadhibamana Dev here is very famous and has many devotees visiting it.
- Activity: The water here is calm; therefore, one can enjoy swimming here. Lots of watersports are also coming up so if you love the waters, you can take anyone from the boat rides, paddle boats, etc.
- Location: Satapada is located around 50 km from Puri in the state of Odisha, India. It comprises seven villages, and thus the name Satapada (sata = seven, pada = village). The beach is located at the meeting point of the Bay of Bengal and the Chilika Lake.
- Attractions: the most important thing here is the beach, which is also famous for its Chilka dolphins. One can also visit the small island called Rajahamsa that is 18 km from Satapada. Once can also find migratory birds in the bird sanctuary here.
- Activity: The beach provides lots of recreational facilities. One can enjoy canoeing, boating, kayaking, etc. if you love swimming, you can swim to your heart's content here as the water is calm. People come here to watch the dolphins, which are found in large numbers.
- Location: The Baleshwar beach is a very popular beach that is located around 15 km from Puri in the state of Odisha, India. It is situated on the shores of the Bay of Bengal.
- Attractions: Baleshwar is visited for its extraordinary beach and the shrine of Lord Shiva that attracts hordes of devotees to this place. The sand and the sunset attract tourist in vast numbers. The sea here is calm and the beach is long and wide, helping you relax and unwind.
- Activities: Baleshwar is a popular picnic spot, which is why you see lots of activity going on the beach. Water sports of all sorts can be enjoyed here. You can also stroll on the beach, with the soft white sand under your feet. Or you can watch the sun set as it slowly fades and twinkling stars appear in the sky.
- Location: Paradip is located in the Jagatsinghpur district in Odisha, India. It is near to major cities like Cuttack (94 km) and Bhubaneshwar (125 km). The latter is the capital city of Odisha.
- Attractions: Paradip is quite an attractive beach by itself. Some of the attractions here are the light hours, marine aquarium, Jagganath Temple, Nehru Bungalow, Bhitarkanika National Park, Baladeva Temple, etc. The place is quite a busy one, as it is one of the best beaches in the country.
- Activities: Here you can experience miles and miles of paradise that comprises pristine beaches and the blue sea. The place also has rare white crocodiles and lizards, migratory birds, etc. One can also enjoy water sports like boating and swimming.
- Location: The Gahirmath beach is located in the coastal region of the Bay of Bengal, and is in the district of Kendrapara, Odisha. Between the Bay of Bengal and the Bhitarkanika mangroves is the beach, which is very important, being the nesting place for the Olive Ridley sea turtles. The Gahirmath Beach is adjacent to the famous Bhitarkanika National Park and is around 35 km long.
- Attractions: Gahirmath is declared as a turtle sanctuary, where you can see thousands of Olive Ridley sea turtles mass-nesting on the beach. The turtles provide a great sight in such vast numbers. Besides, you can visit the national park that is considered as the second in mangrove ecosystem of the country. Here you can watch crocodiles, kingfishers, creeks as well as canals. The 9th century Shiva temple is another attraction here.
- Activities: It is a good weekend destination as you can watch the sea, sand and the sunset, which provide for the best view. Besides visiting the marine turtle sanctuary here, you can take a trip to the national park as well.
- Location: The Puri Beach lies in the city of Puri, Odisha, on the coastal region of the Bay of Bengal. The capital city of Bhubaneshwar is around 60 km from Puri.
- Attractions: Puri is best known as the ancient and modern city. Here you can find temples, monuments, landscapes, and of course the famous beach of Puri. The golden sands are very inviting. It is famous as a pilgrimage center as well.
- Activities: If you visit the beach during the Kartik Purnima, then you will witness the five-day-long beach festival, which is in the month of February. The Jagannath Temple is the most popular temple here. Then there are other ancient temples that are visited by thousands of devotees all the year round. One can also enjoy water sports on the beach.
Last Updated on : January 16, 2014
|Hotels in Odisha|