Pune has a long standing historical background. It is home to the legendary Raja Shivaji and also of the Peshwas who were a political influence during the age of the East India Company. The magnificent sea forts in Pune are an evidence of the historical past of this city.
While in Pune, one can visit the following places:
- Osho Ashram: This is the famous institute of Rajneesh, the guru of meditation. The institute is located at 17 Koregoan Park and spread over a huge area. It holds classes on meditation.
- Shanivar Wada: This historic seven storied palace was built by Bajirao Peshwa I and was once of great political importance. The monumental structure was destroyed by fire. Some of the parts of the palace have survived the fire and are open to visitors.
- Shinde Chhatri: An architectural excellence, this is a memorial built and dedicated to Mahadji Shinde. It is located at a small distance from the race course in Pune.
- Pataleshwer Cave Temples: This cave is carved out of a single stone. It is located in the heart of the city. Prayers to the Lord Shiva are still offered here.
Other touring places in Pune
- Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum
- Tribal Museum
- Gandhi National Memorial / Aga Khan Palace
- Vishrambaug Wada
- Bund Garden
- Saras Baug
- Parvati Hill