Apart from being the administrative headquarters of the district of Nagapattinam, this town is an important seaport located on the eastern coast of the country.
Best Time to visit
August to September
Places to see in and around Nagapattinam
- Abirami Amman Temple- It is a Thirukadaiyur based temple.
- Murugan Temple- This temple is devoted to Lord Murugan and is based in Ettukudi.
- Our Lady of Good Health- This church is positioned in Velankanni.
- Point Calimere Wildlife Sanctuary- This sanctuary is located in Kodikkarai and is the home to a number of mammal species like spotted deer and semi wild ponies and water birds such as flamingos and herons.
- Saneeswara Baghawan Temple- This temple of Nagapattinam is situated in Thirunallar.
- Saraswathi Amman Temple
- Shri Naganatha Swami Temple- Based in Keelaperumpallam this temple is the abode of Kedhu.
- Singaravelan Temple- Situated at Sikkal this temple is dedicated to Lord Murugan and its pillars are adorned with exquisite and intricate carvings as well as colored paintings belonging to the historical time.
- Tharangambadi Fort- Located in Tranquebar this is a Dutch fort that even houses a museum and is maintained by the Archeological Department of the State Government of Tamil Nadu.
- Thiru Kayarohana Udanurai Neelayadakshi Amman Temple- This temple of Lord Shiva houses the idol that portrays one of the seven forms of dance performed by Lord Shiva.
- Thirumullaivasal- This place is known for the panoramic natural beauty of its sea beach and the ancient Arulmigu Mullaivananathar Temple.
- Thiru Soundararaja Perumal Temple- This is the 19th Divya Desam or Vishnu temple.
- Vaitheeswarankoil- Even called Pullirukkuvellur this temple is the seat of God Vaithiyanathan and Goddess Thaiyalnayagi.
- Velankanni- Being the location of the Velankanni Basilica or the Arokiya Madha Church this place is among the famous Christian pilgrimage centers in the country.
- Mini Museum
- Nagore Dargah
- Shri Arulmigu Sattanatha Swami Temple at Sirkazhi
- Varadharaja Perumal Koil
Trichy Airport or Tiruchirapalli Airport, located on the Rameswaram - Tiruchirapalli Highway, which is the National Highway 210, is situated at a distance of around 123 kms from the city center of Nagapattinam.
Nearest Railway Station
Nagapattinam Railway Station is the major as well as the nearest railway station to the town of Nagapattinam.
Though Nagapattinam is not a famous shopping destination, silk products and local handicrafts available at the local markets are quite popular here. To name some of the most famous places to shop in and around this district cum town are: Krishna Super Market, More Super Market, Siva Sakthi Departmental Stores
Last Updated on : January 13, 2014