Anil Ambani is married to Tina Munim, a former bollywood actress and has two sons Anmol and Anshul. He also has an elder brother, Mukesh Ambani, who is the chairman of Reliance Industries. Anil Ambani is from Gujarat but resides in Mumbai and has a Bachelor of Arts and science from the University of Bombay and a Master of Business Administration from the University of Pennsylvania. He is a vegetarian and frequently takes part in marathon races and likes to keep fit. He firmly believes in hard work and considers that the passion for work is the foremost essential aspect in any leadership role activity. He is also a fan of Newcastle United, a Football Premier League club.
The Ambani family is one of the richest families in India and in the world; their riches were inherited from their father, Late Dhirubhai Ambani, founder of Reliance Group. In 1983, Anil Ambani joined Reliance as a co-chief executive officer and established many financial advances in the capital markets. He led India into overseas capital markets with international public offerings. Both Ambani brothers have led the Reliance Group to its existing rank as India's leading power, textiles, petrochemicals, petroleum and telecom company. Anil Ambani had topped the "World’s biggest loser" list of business leaders who lost money in the recession era of 2008-09. One of his biggest achievements in the entertainment business was the takeover of Adlabs and the recently announced joint venture with Steven Spielberg worth 825 million dollars.
Mr. Ambani has received the following awards and recognition:
- "Businessman of the Year 1997" by Business India Magazine.
- Awarded the First Wharton Indian Alumni Award by the Wharton India Economic Forum in December 2001.
- "The Entrepreneur of the Decade Award" by the Bombay Management Association in October 2002.
- Chosen as "MTV Youth Icon of the Year" in 2003.
- "CEO of the Year" at the Platts Global Energy Awards in 2004.
- "Businessman of the Year" by Times of India-TNS poll in 2006
- Voted as the "3rd most powerful person in India" in the India Today Power List, 2009.