John Abraham was a media planner at an ad agency Enterprise-Nexus in Mumbai. He started his modeling career by substituting for a model who didn't turn up for a shoot and was requested by his boss to complete the campaign. One of the turning points in his career was his participation in the Glad Rags Manhunt in March 1999. He qualified for the finals and went to Philippines and was declared as the first runner up.
After this there was no looking back, he was flooded with modeling assignments. He was signed by Carrie Models in Singapore and did many assignments in Hong Kong, London and New York. He even performed in music videos of Jhanjhar and Chupke Chupke by Pankaj Udhas. His first TV Commercial in India was for Cinthol. He did an ad campaign for Levis and became the first Asian model for the brand. He was soon counted among the top models in the country.
John Abraham's first debut film in Bollywood was Jism in 2003. This sensational film made him very popular for his passionate and emotional role. He has acted in a number of successful movies as Dhoom (2004), Garam Masala (2005) and Taxi no 9211(2006). His role of Kabir in Dhoom (2004) was widely acclaimed and it was a smashing hit of the year. He even won the Zee Cine Awards for his performance in the film as a villain.
In 2005, he performed in Viruddh which was very different from his previous movies and shared the screen with great actors as Amitabh Bachchan, Jaya Bachchan and Sanjay Dutt. His next movie, Water was nominated at the Academy Awards for the Best Foreign Language Film. Few of his recently released movies are Baabul, Kabul Express, Salaam-e -Ishq, No Smoking, Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal, Dostana, Jhootha Hi Sahi, 7 Khoon Maaf, Force, Desi Boyz, Housefull 2, etc.
John Abraham is associated with the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Cause (PETA) and has shot an ad to make people aware of the cruelty against birds while caging and capturing them.
Awards and nominations
- 2004: Won Bollywood Movie Award - Best Male Debut for Jism
- 2005: Won Stardust Superstar of Tomorrow - Male, Paap
- 2005: Nominated for Filmfare Best Villain Award for Dhoom
- 2005: Won IIFA Best Villain Award for Dhoom
- 2005: Won Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role for Dhoom
- 2006: Rajiv Gandhi Award for his achievement in Bollywood
- 2006: Nominated for Global Indian Film Awards Best Villain for Zinda
- 2006: Nominated for IIFA Best Supporting Actor Award for Garam Masala
- 2007: Nominated for Filmfare Best Villain Award for Zinda
- 2007: Nominated for Filmfare Best Supporting Actor Award for Baabul
- 2007: Nominated for IIFA Best Villain Award for Zinda
- 2007: Nominated for Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role
- 2007: Nominated fro Bollywood Movie Award - Best Supporting Actor for Baabul
- 2007: Giant International Awards for his contribution to Indian cinema
- 2008: Sexiest Asian Man
- 2008: Won Star Screen Award Jodi No.1 along with Abhishek Bachchan for Dostana
- 2009: Loins Club Award
- 2011: India's Sexiest Bachelor by the BIG CBS PRIME
Facts about John Abraham
|Full Name||Farhan Abraham|
|Date of Birth||17 December 1972 (age 42)|
|Birth Place||Kochi, Kerala, India|
|Height||6' (1.83 m)|
|Profession||Actor, film producer, model|
|Father's Name||Abraham John|
|Mother's name||Firoza Irani|
|Marital status||Priya Runchal|
|Debut Film||Is Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon|
Last Updated on : July 10, 2015