Vitamin C is one of the most commonly chosen ingredients when it comes to skincare. It is an excellent source of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin C can be found in fruits and vegetables as well, but it may not be as beneficial because of the chemicals used to grow them, so cosmetic products are a great way to get its benefits. In addition, vitamin C suits all skin types, whether it is oily, dry, combination or normal skin.
What are the skin benefits of Vitamin C?
- Reduces dark circles- The antioxidant properties of Vitamin-C strengthens the thin skin in that area, making it more resilient. It also helps conceal the blood vessels of the under-eye area.
- Boosts production of Collagen- Vitamin C boosts collagen and elastin production in the skin, making the skin look more firm and youthful.
- Hydrates the skin- Vitamin C helps lock the water in the skin, keeping it hydrated and preventing it from drying out too much.
- Reduces hyperpigmentation- Vitamin C inhibits the production of tyrosinase, which is an enzyme that helps produce melanin, preventing hyperpigmentation.
- Protects from sun damage- The antioxidant properties in Vitamin-C helps protect from the damage caused by the sun’s UV rays. However, you should not avoid sunscreen if you are using other products consisting of Vitamin C.
- Repairs skin damage.
- Evens out skin tone.
- Smooth’s out wrinkles/prevents premature ageing.
- It helps in reducing scars.
Vitamin-C products are available as cleanser or face wash, toner, serum, moisturizer, under-eye gel/cream, sheet masks and sunscreen. Some popular brands, which have a range of Vitamin-C products, include The Body Shop, Minimalist, Lakme, Mamaearth, Garnier, DermaCo, Clinique, Biotique, and many more.
Vitamin-C is generally a safe product to use, suiting every skin type but may irritate some people. Therefore, it is advisable to do a patch test before using any Vitamin-C product because it may not suit everyone.
*Vitamin-C supplements are also beneficial for the skin and it also helps in healing wounds fast. Many individuals do not like investing time or may not have enough time to maintain a full-time skincare routine. Vitamin-c supplements are ideal for them. The supplements will help those individuals fulfil the nutritional requirements of the body and benefit the skin.