Castor oil is a type of oil that is produced by the seeds of the castor plant. It is very thick in consistency compared to other oil and is used for our skin, hair, and some other household works. Castor oil is extensively produced in India. The use of castor oil has existed since the era of Queen Cleopatra, which started in Egypt.
What are the skin benefits of castor oil?
- Reduces acne- Castor oil consists of anti-inflammatory properties which reduce acne.
- Improves texture of the skin- It enriches with fatty acids, which helps to soothe the skin, making the skin appear smoother.
- Reduces uneven skin tone- The fatty acids in castor oil boost the tissues’ growth in the skin, which minimizes uneven skin tone.
- Contains antibacterial and antimicrobial properties- The antibacterial and antimicrobial properties prevent irritation on the skin caused by foreign particles.
- Moisturizes the skin- It enriches triglycerides that keep the skin moisturized and healthy.
- Hydrates the skin- The humectant properties in castor oil keeps locks in the moisture and keeps the skin hydrated.
- Reduces wrinkles and other signs of ageing
- Boosts growth of eyelashes and eyebrows
How does castor oil benefit the hair?
- Castor oil is known for its excellent benefits for the hair. Using castor oil stimulates the growth of hair and helps in treating alopecia. One cannot directly apply Castor Oil to the hair because of its thick consistency.
- It keeps the hair healthy and smooth.
- It makes the roots stronger.
Recommended ways to use castor oil for hair:
- Mix 2 tbsp. Of castor oil with coconut oil and olive oil, apply on your hair at least twice a week for best results. Keep the oil overnight on the hair, but it is advised to devote 2 hours before shower and wash it off using a mild shampoo. (The amount of coconut oil and olive oil should be equal and as per your hair)