Whenever we think of ‘Tawa’ dishes, we always think of Tawa Chicken, Brain Curry, Tawa Seekh and whatnot. However, today I will tell you how to cook Chicken Bhuna that is also a Tawa speciality. It’s spicy, tangy and hits all the right flavours. It has a thick gravy and best enjoyed with Roti/Naan.
Ingredients for bhuna chicken masala
- Chicken Breast – 500 grams chopped into 1-inch cubes
- Onions – 6-7 Medium size
- Mustard oil – 100 ml
- Ginger-Garlic paste – 2 teaspoon
- Tomatoes chopped or pureed – 2 pieces
- Curd – 250 ml
- Cumin seeds – A pinch
- Salt – According to taste
- Kashmiri Red Chilli powder – 2 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Corriander powder – 1 teaspoon
- Chicken Masala powder – 2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fresh Corriander – For garnish
Procedure to prepare chicken bhuna masala:
- Take a large ‘Tawa’ and put it on high flame. Add Mustard oil to the pan, bring it to the smoking point, and switch off the flame to cool off the oil. This step takes place to remove the pungent smell of the Mustard oil.
- Turn the flame on again, and once the oil is hot, add onions to saute. Saute the onions for about 3-4 minutes and then add ginger-garlic paste and saute this mixture for another minute or so.
- To the sauteed onions, add Kashmiri Red Chilli powder, Turmeric powder, Corriander powder, Chicken Masala powder, Garam Masala powder and saute for a minute or so. Add half a cup of water to the mixture if required to cook the masalas properly.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and salt. Cook them along with onions for 2-3 minutes or till the oil separates
- Now add the curd to the gravy and cook for another minute.
- Cut the chicken into 1-inch cubes and add them to the gravy. Lower the flame and cook the chicken for about 6-7 minutes.
- Add water to adjust the consistency of the gravy.
- The chicken will get cooked quickly because of the size of the pieces, so please keep an eye.
- Garnish the Chicken Bhuna with freshly chopped corriander leaves, green chillies and ginger julienne.