Each one of us must have suffered from acidity at some point in time. Acidity has become a common problem among children and adults alike due to their eating habits. Rather than going for medicines to cure acidity, it is always better to go for home remedies. These home remedies curb the excessive production of acids in the stomach and relieve the symptoms of acidity.
Here is a list of the natural home remedies for acidity:
1. Drinking Water: Drinking two glasses of normal water in the morning regularly is the best home remedy to treat acidity. This helps in maintaining acid levels in the stomach and improves digestion.
2. Cold Milk: Cold milk is an ideal remedy to treat heartburn and acid reflux as compared to hot milk. The calcium present in it provides immediate relief from the burning sensation in the stomach. It hinders building up of acids in the stomach and also absorbs excess acids.
3. Holy Basil or Tulsi: Holy basil, popularly known as Tulsi, helps a person suffering from acidity by reducing the impact of gastric acids and repress excess gas production. Chewing 2-3 Tulsi leaves regularly eases the problem of acidity.
4. Jaggery or Gur: Have you ever thought about why our elders eat gur after every meal? Because it is good for digestion. It reduces acidity in the stomach making it more alkaline. Make a habit of eating jaggery after every meal.
5. Ginger: Ginger is a recommended remedy to treat acid reflux as it keeps the pH levels of the body in balance. It eases the stomach by reducing the level of stomach acid. For better results, add some lemon juice to the ginger juice and consume it.
6. Mint leaves: Remember Pudin Hara, an ideal medicine for acidity. The medicine is made up of mint extract which helps in soothing the acid reflux in the stomach. Mint is an effective and the best natural coolant. Boil few leaves of mint and drink this water after cooling it.
7. Aloe Vera: The aloe vera plant can also be considered as an effective home remedy to treat acidity. The plant’s anti-inflammatory properties reduce the inflammation in the stomach and soothe the digestive system. Aloe vera juice and gel can be consumed to cure heartburn. Consuming aloe vera products before meals are ideal as it promotes effective digestion of food.
8. Buttermilk or chaas: Buttermilk works like an antidote to acid reflux. A glass of cold buttermilk works like magic on the stomach and delivers a cooling effect on the stomach. The lactic acid present in the buttermilk reduces the acidity symptoms and irritation in the stomach. Have this probiotic drink after spicy and heavy meals to relieve yourself from acidity. Sprinkle some black pepper powder on this drink for better results.
9. Coconut Water: Coconut water helps in keeping the secretion of the stomach acids normal. The high fiber content in this magical water prevents indigestion and acid reflux.
10. Fennel Seeds or saunf: People frequently consume fennel seeds or saunf after dinner. Have you ever thought why? These seeds are very beneficial for soothing the stomach from acidity and prevents any kind of stomach spasm. They are loaded with minerals, vitamins, and fibers that support the digestion process. You can also soak some fennel seeds in water and drink it every day for quick results.
11. Pineapple juice: Pineapple juice is very effective in getting rid of acidity. It has enzymes which help in controlling the production levels of hydrochloric acid in the stomach and prevent hyperacidity. Adding a pinch of salt to this juice will elevate its results.
12. Cumin seeds or jeera: These seeds function as a potent acid neutralizer which improves digestion and alleviates stomach pain. These seeds can be used in multiple ways to treat acidity like – you can have these seeds raw with some warm water or you can also boil the seeds and drink this water after meals or stir some crushed and roasted seeds in a glass of water and drink it.
13. Gooseberries or amla: Amla is a versatile ayurvedic food item known for its wide range of benefits. The calming effect of this food makes it a natural hindrance for acidity. It also heals the damaged stomach lines and esophagus. Eating one teaspoon of amla powder regularly is beneficial to prevent irritating spell of acidity.
14. Vegetable raita: Having a raita made with vegetables like cucumber, tomatoes, or coriander is extremely helpful if suffering from acid reflux. You can add some roasted cumin powder to this raita to make it more tasty and healthy.
15. Carom seeds or ajwain: Ajwain is rich in anti-acid properties which makes it a good remedy to treat acid reflux. Consuming ajwain, black salt, and warm water together for two weeks is an ideal home remedy to get rid of acidity. You can also boil these seeds in water and drink the mixture after straining it.
16. Cinnamon or dalchini: This spice not just makes the food flavorful but also helps in relieving the symptoms of acidity. It is a natural antacid which improves digestion. Having cinnamon tea helps in getting rid of infections of the gastrointestinal tract.
17. Banana: When it comes to stomach-related ailments, banana carries much importance. This fruit is alkaline in nature and reduces the effect of acids on your stomach. Having a banana every day is an ideal option if suffering from acidity.
18. Garlic: Are you surprised to see garlic in the list? If yes, then let us tell you that garlic is a good home remedy to treat indigestion and acid reflux. It is rich in antioxidants making it an antidote to acid reflux. Consuming garlic in preparing meals is ideal to encourage stomach health and prevent acidity.
19. Raw almonds: This is another home remedy which helps in alleviating the symptoms of acidity. Make sure you do not soak them in water or tamper the almonds in any way. Raw almonds have rich content of natural oils and fiber which helps in proper digestion of foods.
20. Lemon water: Lemon water is a good home remedy to treat acidity and encourages digestion. It helps to neutralize the effect of acids present in your stomach. Drinking this water before meals promote proper digestion. You can add cumin powder and rock salt to this water for better results.
21. Papaya: Incorporating papayas in your diet helps in improving your digestion and reducing acidity. The fiber content helps in the detoxifying stomach of the excess acids.