Dal Dhokli Recipe
Dal dhokli is a full meal in itself which can be had for lunch or dinner, and it comes from the state of Gujarat. I was introduced to this dish by some of my Gujarati friends and, since then, I have been a fan of it. It is a very healthy meal which is easy to prepare and fills you up nicely. The spices are added to the wheat flour while kneading and, once ready, it is thinly rolled and cut in any shape like squares or circles, these cut pieces are called dhoklis. These dhoklis are added to the prepared dal which cooks them slowly within the dal and hence the name dal dhokli. It gives a nice variation to your regular meal. Following this recipe, it’s easy to impress your guests with your knowledge about food from the western state of India. So, get ready for a delicious, healthy and filling meal with dal dhokli.
Ingredients needed for Dal Dhokli
- Arhar dal – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Tomato – 1 (chopped)
- Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Dry red chilies – 2-3
- Dough – 1 cup
- Coriander to garnish
How to make Dal Dhokli
- Cook dal with salt, turmeric powder and tomato.
- Heat ghee in a pan.
- When the ghee is hot, add cumin seeds, curry leaves and dry red chilies.
- Add this ghee to the cooked dal.
- Make thin chapatis with the dough and cut small circles from the chapati.
- Add the circled in the cooked dal.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes.
- Add water, if required.
- Garnish with fresh coriander.
- Serve hot.