I’ve been longing for the king of fruits, the mango, ever since the season ended a couple of months back and I don’t think I could wait until the next season. Just to get some taste of it I picked up the canned mango puree from the local supermarket and used it to make Mango Phirni. Phirni is one of the yummiest desserts in India and is made from milk and rice. I added this mango flavor, and it came out beautifully. Phirni should be served cooled and goes well after a spicy meal. What’s best, it’s not too difficult to make it. You too can try Mango Phirni at home and get a taste of amazing mangoes in the off season. Use this Mango Phirni Recipe to create your magic in the kitchen and enjoy a delectable dessert at home.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Full cream milk – 1 lt
- Rice – 3 tbsp
- Sugar – 3/4 cup
- Mango puree – 1 cup
- Dry fruits for garnishing
How to make Mango Phirni
- Wash and soak rice for an hour.
- Drain the water and blend the rice in a blender to make a coarse powder.
- Add very little water, if required.
- In a heavy-bottom pan, add milk.
- Let the milk come to a boil.
- Add the rice to the milk.
- Reduce the heat and cook till the milk is reduced to 1/2 and the phirni has reached the desired consistency.
- Keep in mind that it will further thicken on cooling.
- Add sugar.
- Cook for a minute.
- Let it cool for 1/2 hour.
- Add mango puree and mix well.
- Transfer the phirni in an earthen bowl (or regular, if not available)
- Garnish with slivered almonds and pistachios.
- Chill for a few hours before serving.