Have you ever tasted this delicious drink made with raw mangoes and flavored with fresh mint? As kids, we used to drink Aam Panna throughout the summers to keep the body cool and fight the scorching heat. My mom used to keep aam panna ready and chilled and as soon as we came back from school, we were given a glass full. Aam panna is very easy to make and my mom has passed on a great recipe to make this lovely drink. The raw mangoes are peeled and the skin is removed. Then all the pulp is pureed and flavorings are added. It is then chilled and served. So keep yourself cool, this summer with this refreshing aam panna.
- Raw mangoes-1\2 kg
- Fresh mint-30 gm (make a paste with little water)
- Sugar-100 gm
- Black salt-2 tsp
- Roasted Cumin powder-1 tsp
How to make Aam Panna
- Wash and peel the raw mangoes
- Pressure cook with 5 cups of water till soft (one whistle on high heat and then one whistle on low heat)
- Let it cool
- Mash with your hand and remove all the pulp
- Discard the seeds
- Strain through a soup strainer
- Add mint, sugar, black salt and roasted cumin powder
- Serve chilled.
Aam Panna can be kept for a day or two in a refrigerator; it retains its taste and flavor. Do shake it well before pouring. If you have kids at home, you may convert aam panna to ice lollies, they will just love them. Enjoy!