Mangoes are coming back in season and I’m all too excited for them. Not just that I love them eating them, I also use them for many of my recipes to give a unique and delicious taste. Just today I used the raw mangoes or amiya as we call them to make my day to day dal extra tasty. The tangy flavor of the dal went very well with the rice and chapati and everybody enjoyed the meal. It is a very simple addition and let’s you go out of ordinary in regular meals. I’ll share more mango recipes as we go through the season, however for now use this Amiya Ki Dal Recipe and enjoy it any day you like.
Ingredients (serves 4)
- Toor dal – 1 cup
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Water – 4 cup
- Amiya – 1/2 cup (peeled and sliced)
- For Tadka
- Desi ghee – 1 tbsp
- Heeng – 1 pinch
- Zeera – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilies – 3 to 4
- Fresh dhania leaves to garnish
How to make Amiya Ki Dal
Preparation time: 10 min.
Cooking time: 20 min.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, amiya and water to dal and cook in a pressure cooker till done.
- Mash the remaining pieces of amiya in dal as needed. Keep aside.
- For Tadka
- Heat desi ghee in a pan, add heeng, dry red chili and zeera and when it starts to crackle, switch off heat and add red chili powder.
- Mix the tadka in the dal and mix thoroughly.
- Garnish with fresh dhania leaves.
- Serve hot with rice or chapati.