Summers are here and what to cook must be a question that keeps knocking your mind before each meal. You want to eat delicious but healthy food but, what to pick and what to leave is always a problem. Do not worry as we have plenty of fruits and veggies in summer that are healthy: they boost your immune system, help in strengthening your bones, keep you slim, protect your heart and, at the same time, lend themselves to delicious food and dessert preparation. Apart from this, some veggies also cut down the summer heat. So, do not forget to include these in your meal. As far as possible try restricting yourself to seasonal fruits and vegetables.
Some healthy food in summer
- Do your kids eat fresh homemade butter? Feel happy if they are fond of fresh butter as homemade butter has the absolutely right proportion of Omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that helps in brain development.
- Start your day with oatmeal as these are great for your heart.
- Eat brown rice instead of white rice as brown rice are rich in selenium (reduces the chances of developing cancer), manganese (helps in creating essential fatty acids), natural oils (beneficial for heart) and rich in fiber.
- Eat almonds, spinach, and broccoli for stronger bones.
- Summer veggie especially pumpkin is rich in beta carotene, vitamin A and fiber. It helps in preventing heart disease.
- Broccoli has anti-cancer benefits. It also helps in decreasing inflammation and boost immunity.
- By eating kidney beans your blood pressure will remain under control to a great extent as kidney beans are rich in potassium and magnesium. If you are vegetarian, then kidney beans must be included in your diet because of iron and protein content in them.
- Eggplant is rich in a gamut of B vitamins and thus a very good source of energy. The purple color of eggplant shows that it has many antioxidants that protect brain cells and keep lipid level under control.
- Bitter gourd helps in curing boils and fungal infections. It also helps in controlling hypertension and diabetes.
- Bottle gourd is the best to deal with summer heat. It keeps the problem of acidity, that generally occurs in the summer season, under control.
- Cucumber has 96% water so it keeps your body well-hydrated. Blood pressure is regulated to a large extent by eating cucumber as salad as it contains lots of potassium, fiber and magnesium.
- Cheese has the required amount of phosphate and calcium that helps in maintaining teeth enamel.
- Occasionally use tamarind in your food as it lowers the cholesterol level in body and assists in having a healthy heart. Also, you can give diluted tamarind to your kids in case of stomach worms.
- To lower cholesterol level daily eat garlic.
- Antioxidants and Vitamin C in corns protect your eyes.
- Tomatoes are rich in he tantioxidant lycopene as well as in vitamins A, C and K. Tomatoes help in lowering down the inflammation and cholesterol.
- Eat bananas as these are rich in potassium and fiber. Banana helps in controlling blood pressure as well as helps in maintaining the digestive and muscular systems.
- Eat berries to enhance your mood naturally. The natural sugar in berries helps in changing your mood.
- The king of fruits, mango helps in improving the immune system.
- Watermelon is perhaps the most refreshing fruit in summer. Eating 2 cups of watermelon in a day can give you a younger-looking skin as it consists of 92% water and 8% sugar.
- Litchi is a very nutritious and healthy fruit that has a cooling effect on the body. Litchi contains no saturated fat but consists of vitamins, dietary fiber and antioxidants. You get 66 calories of energy from per 100 grams of litchi.
- If you are non-vegetarian and fond of sea-food, then have salmon as it is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and vitamin D. Thus, salmon protects your heart as well as delays premature aging of brain and loss in memory.
So each fruit and vegetable has its own benefit. But in case you are not allowed to eat certain fruits and vegetables, then do avoid these, or, consult your doctor.