Your Sunday Search for a Green Eco Park Taken Care of
India, currently, has a population of about 1.2 billion people. More and more people have been migrating to metros, cities, and urban tracts. With pollution and lack of greenery and growing concrete jungles becoming a growing concern, the promotion of eco-tourism could be the saviour that brings both tourism money and saves our cities. That is perhaps what the West Bengal administration thought when they initiated work on the Ecotourism park at New Town-Rajarhat, one of Kolkata’s upcoming plush locales. Inaugurated on 29 December 2012, by the CM of the state, Mamata Banerjee, Eco Park, Rajarhat is a 480-acre park that showcases the rich natural and cultural heritage of the state. The park has come to be known as Prakriti Tirtha (Nature pilgrimage), an apt description of the conjunction of various ecological zones. It is currently Kolkata’s most popular attraction, picnic spot, and recreational area.
Address: Eco-Tourism Park, Major Arterial Rd, Action Area II, Newtown, Kolkata, West Bengal – 700156.
Phone: 033-2706 4010
- Distance from Airport – About 10 kilometres
- Distance from Ultadanga – 13.6 kilometres
- Distance from Chingrihata – 10.8 kilometres
Eco Park, New Town, is an up and coming locality. With more and more businesses in Kolkata relocating to New Town, there are more buses and coaches connecting the park with the rest of the city. Despite all the bus services, taxis are still the easiest way of getting to Eco Park and if it is a family or group outing this may be quite an economical option as well.
Layout of Eco Park
The Eco Park is a place where people from Kolkata and visitors to the city can go to spend a fun day with their family. Nature and serenity are the two key elements of the park. A number of fun and recreational activities are undertaken at the park as well. Apart from the large water park or jheel in the lake, the Eco Park has a number of themed areas. These include –
- Tropical Tree Garden
- Wildflower Meadow
- Formal Garden
- Herb Garden
- Tropical Rain Forest
- Bamboo Forest
- Rabi Aranya
- Fruits Garden
- Tea Garden
- Mask Garden
Eco Park Major Attractions
- Rose Garden – A large park that is dedicated to growing different varieties of roses from across the world. These flowers bloom through the year making it a key attraction.
- Butterfly Park – A centre where hundreds of different kinds of butterflies are cultivated. Visitors can set some free for a charge. This is an activity enjoyed by people of all ages.
- Music Fountain – A spectacular fountain set to music is located in the park. At sundown, the music and lights show is a crowd puller
- Food Park – The food park offers a wonderful café and dining experience in the midst of the surrounding natural beauty.
- Banglar Haat – The Banglar Haat area in the park is an enclosure that showcases the cottage industries and culture of rural Bengal. All the produce from these industries may be bought here.
- Baul Gram – The bauls form the core of Bengal’s rich song and dance culture. The Baul Gram of Eco Park is a great place to enjoy live baul performances.
- Shilpi Kuthi – The artisan’s cottages are beautiful inspired cottages that make for a beautiful view.
- Cottages and Conference Hall – The individual cottages and the conference hall on a small island in the middle of the 200-acre jheel (lake) is available for corporates and for individual ceremonies. The glasshouse on this island is also a major attraction.
- Shishu Kendra – A children’s entertainment centre called Shishu Kendra is a great attraction for families with small children
- Ayurvedic Spa – The Ayurvedic spa at the park offers a number of Ayurvedic services and treatments for the holistic well being of visitors.
- 7 Wonders of the World – The Park represents all the 7 wonders of the world, namely, The Great Pyramid of Giza, Egypt; Petra in Jordan; Colosseum of Rome; The Great Wall of China; Moai statues of Easter Island; Brazil’s Christ the Redeemer; and India’s Taj Mahal. The whole setup is spread over a land of 3 acres.
Facilities in Eco Park
The Eco Park of New Town, Rajarhat, is best known for the numerous facilities it offers its visitors. These include a large parking facility in the parking area for visitor’s vehicles and food kiosks at various places for families to buy food since outside food is now allowed. Golf carts are available for transport inside the park as well. The park also allows for online ticket booking for its Eco walks. The authorities offer a number of discounts and facilities for school and group bookings. Eco Park, New Town is now a famous venue for day outings and school excursions.
Eco Park Timings:
Summer Timings: (1 March to 31 October)
Tuesday to Saturday = 2:30 PM. to 8:30 P.M.
Sunday & Holidays = 12 Noon. to 8:30 P.M.
Winter Timings: (1 November to 28 February)
Tuesday to Saturday = 12 Noon. to 7:30 P.M.
Sunday & Holidays = 11 AM. to 7:30 P.M.
Eco Park Entry Fee
INR 20 per head. Ticket counter closes at 6.30 p.m.
|Duo cycling||150||per couple 30 minutes|
|Eco Cart||100||Counter 1 to Children’s Park|
|Gaming Zone||50||60 minutes|
|Speed Boat||100||One round of lake (about 30 minutes)|
|Land Zorbing||150||for 10 mins|
|Mickey Mouse||20||20 minutes|
|Paddle Boat||200||For 4 persons for 30 minutes|
|Remote Car||70||per head for 2 rounds|
|Rifle Shooting||50||10 Shots|
|Roller Skates||150||30 minutes|
|Shikara Riding||300||4 people 30 minutes|
|Water Zorbing||150||per head 10 minutes|
Other Amusement Parks in Kolkata
38,934 total views, 23 views today