Location: Madhav National Park,Shivpuri, Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh
Also known as the Shimla of Madhya Pradesh, Shivpuri is an ancient town in Gwalior, whose dense forests were used as the hunting grounds for the Mughal Emperors. The royalty of this small place lies in the exquisite hunting lodges and palaces that were built by the Scindia Rulers. Madhav National Park, the hunting preserve of the rulers of Gwalior, houses the most beautiful creation by them-The George Castle
Located on the highest point in the depth of the National Park, George Castle was built in 1911 by Jivaji Rao Scindia. It is a two-storey structure that was erected for an overnight halt for the King of the United Kingdom, George V. On his trip to India, George V was supposed to stay here for a tiger hunt. Imported English tiles and attractive windows were used in the construction of this exclusive castle. But, having killed a tiger on his way, the king did not stop here and the palace was abandoned.
Being situated at the highest point, the George Castle offers a magnificent view of the national park. Standing at the castle one can see Nilgai, Blackbucks, Sloth Bear, Wild Pigs, Jackals and several other wild animals. The point where the three lakes, Jadhav Sagar, Sakhya Sagar and Madhav Sagar, interlink with each other is located right next to the castle. Even though George Castle remains as a desolate building now, it is still the best place to enjoy the whole forest at a glance.
Timings: 6:30 AM – 5:00 PM
Entry fee: Rs.600 (Indians)
Closed on Wednesday