Location: Pantheon Road, Egmore, Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Established in 1851, Government Museum of Chennai is popular as the Madras Museum. Factually being the second oldest museum of India (after Kolkata’s Indian Museum), this museum is a treasure in itself! As a rich repository of finest masterpieces of art, archaeology, anthropology, numismatics and much more, the Madras Museum assures to lure one and all.
Spread across an area of 16.25 acres of land, the Government Museum is also counted among the largest museums of South Asia. Its campus has six independent buildings with 46 galleries. These are:
- Main building, where you will find artifacts and sculptures from the past, animal galleries, botany galleries and philately gallery.
- Front building has a very interesting puppet gallery and galleries preserving the folk art and music.
- Bronze gallery – Besides the bronze artifacts, there are also numismatics and chemical conservation galleries.
- Children’s Museum is one section that fascinates all kids with is doll section, technology and science galleries.
- National Art Gallery has some excellent paintings and pieces of artistic marvels.
- Contemporary Art Gallery – From rock and cave art to British portrait to modern art, one can see how the art of ‘art’ has evolved over ages.
Timings: 9:30 am to 5:00 pm
Closed on: Fridays and National holidays
- Indians: (Adults) Rs. 15, (Children below 12 years) Rs. 10, Rs. 5 (Students and teachers in group with prior permission)
- Foreigners: Rs. 250 (adults), Rs. 125(children), Rs. 75 (Students and teachers in group with prior permission)
- Camera Fee: Rs 200 (still photography), Rs 500 (video camera)
- Commercial photography is not permitted.
- Special lectures and films shows are occasionally held in the museum.
- Must visit the Bronze gallery, National Art Gallery and Contemporary Art Gallery.
- The overall management and maintenance of the building is a bit disappointing tough.
- There is a book shop inside the Government Museum complex that offers books at cheap prices.