Scenic Doddabetta among the Nilgiris
Ooty or Ootacamund, in Tamil Nadu is popular as the Queen of Hill Stations. It impresses visitors with its long tunnels, lush greens, tea gardens, deep ravines and enchanting beauty. The highest point in Ooty and the second highest mountain in the Nilgiri Hills, Doddabetta is a feast for the eyes. The image itself speaks of its 360 degree panoramic charisma and picturesque views. I still remember how as a kid I used to sketch a scenery, huge mountains, valleys, trees, flowery bushes and one or two tiny huts. This view looks quite similar, yet magnificent with layers of hills, snow clad peaks in the background, forests and steppes painted with beautiful shades of greens.
- Go here in the morning. Afternoons are usually crowded.
- Avoid late evenings as Doddabetta is surrounded majorly by forests.
- There is no good parking facility. You will have to trek up to to peak (2-3 kilometers) which can be cumbersome.
- The not-so-good conditions of roads to Doddabetta may also be a turn-off.
- Tamil Nadu Tourism Development Corporation manages a Telescope House at the Doddabetta Peak from where you can enjoy the scenic charm of Doddabetta and the views of Ooty and Nilgiris. You will have to wait for your turn for telescopic views. So, be patient.
- Relish juicy pineapples, fresh carrots and masala moongfali (groundnut).
Overall, Dodabetta is worth visiting!
For more related details, you may refer to the following: