Shree Ganesh is the first to be worshipped before beginning any new project or venture, as he is the destroyer of obstacles. This is Shree Siddhivinayak Ganapati Temple at Prabhadevi in Mumbai, a two-century-old Temple that fulfills the desires of the worshipers.
The city of Mumbai is a mute witness to places of worship & historical interest, which are not only popular but also of archaeological importance. The old temple had an ancient architectural style, consisting of a hall, a sanctum sanctorum, some free open space, the temple’s administrative office to the right and a water tank in the front.
Ganesh, the son of Lord Shiva is one of the most prominent altars, faithfully invoked and dedicatedly worshipped by a large number of devotees. The idol of Shree Siddhivinayak is of black stone and is 2.5 feet high and 2 feet wide, with the trunk on the right. The upper right hand holds a lotus, the left an axe. Around the neck is the snake like sacred thread. The idol is carved out of a single stone. The idols of Riddhi and Siddhi are on either side of Shree Siddhivinayak.
Mount Mary Church
The Basilica of Our Lady of the Mount, more commonly known as Mount Mary Church, is a Roman Catholic Basilica located in Bandra, Mumbai. The basilica stands on a hillock, about 80 metres above sea level overlooking the Arabian Sea. It draws lakhs of devotees and pilgrims annually. Many of the faithful attest to the miraculous powers of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The shrine attracts people from all faiths who pray to Virgin Mary for expressing their gratitude or requesting favors. The Marathas destroyed the church in 1738 during a raid.
Although the current church edifice is just 100 years old, the history behind the current statue of Our Lady goes back to the 16th century when Jesuit priests from Portugal brought the statue to the current location and constructed a chapel. In 1700, Arab pirates interested in the gilt-lined object held in the hand disfigured the statue by cutting off the right hand.
In 1760, the church was rebuilt and the statue was substituted with a statue of Our Lady of Navigators in St. Andrew’s church nearby. This statue has an interesting legend. It goes that a Koli fisherman dreamt that he would find a statue in the sea. The statue was found floating in the sea between 1700 and 1760. However the pervious statue is now restored and now enjoys the place of honour in the basilica. Both Hindu and Christian Kolis visit this shrine often giving it a kind of syncretic nature.