Mahalabia is one of the most famous desserts in the Middle East. It is a very simple yet yummy recipe. The star ingredient of this dessert is milk and heavy cream. The ingredients and process are simple but the taste is as elegant as its name. It can be garnished with any nuts or syrup as per your preference. Below is the simplest recipe and pistachios are used for garnishing.
Ingredients: (Serves 3 to 4, depending on the serving glass)
- Milk- 3 cups
- Cornstarch- 6 tablespoons
- Sugar- ½ cup (can be added if required more)
- Heavy cream- 1 cup
- Pistachio- 5 to 6 nuts
- Raisins- 5 to 6 pieces
- Take a large pot and put it on the flame. Pour the milk and bring it to a boil.
- When the milk comes to a boil, gradually add the sugar and allow it to boil. Make sure the flame is low.
- While the sugar is melting, take a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch powder with cold water. Make sure the consistency is smooth.
- Now add the cornstarch mixture into the milk and allow it to boil in low flame until the consistency of the mixture is thick like pancake batter. This will take around 20 minutes. Continue to whisk while the milk boils.
- After the milk thickens up take it off the flame and pour it into a large bowl.
- In the large bowl with milk add the cream and mix it well.
- After the cream is well mixed with the milk, pour the mixture equally on serving glasses and refrigerate it for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours, when the Mahalabia’s are frozen well, garnish it with the pistachios and raisins. It is ready to serve.