Are you an avid lover of products made with natural ingredients? Then this one is for you.
Tea tree oil, an essential oil extracted from an Australian native tree Melaleuca Alternifolia, is a “Wonder in a Bottle”. And remember, this oil has nothing to do with tea plant used to make black or green teas. This essential oil is touted as a final solution to all your health-related problems curing them of their very roots. Just like other essential oils, the tea tree oil has gained immense popularity across the world for its extensive range of benefits and uses. The tea tree oil has been tried, tested and clinically proven to treat infections and diseases arising from virus, bacteria, and fungus. This property and the natural benefits of the oil has made it a core element in various beauty and health products.
Making this essential oil a part of your daily regime will not only be promoting a healthier skin, but it also relieves you of all the hair and health-related ailments.
Tea Tree Oil Uses and Benefits for Skincare
1. Treats acne: Tea tree oil is a superb natural remedy to effectively cure acne
problem due to the presence of benzoyl peroxide, antibacterial, and antimicrobial compounds in it. It not only cures the present acne on the skin but also hinders the growth of the future ones. A lot of companies manufacturing beauty products use this oil in preparing anti-acne creams.
- Use with water: Take half cup of water and add 3-4 drops of tea tree oil. Apply this on the acne with a cotton swab, leaving it for 20-25 minutes. Apply moisturizer after it dries. Do not wash your face.
- With honey and yogurt: Combine 2-3 drops of tea tree oil, one tablespoon of honey, and one tablespoon of yogurt. Apply and leave this mixture on your acne for about 20 minutes and wash.
- With coconut/almond oil: Mix one tablespoon of coconut/almond oil with 2-3 drops of tea tree oil. Apply it on your face and wash.
2. Moisturizes Skin: Tea tree oil helps in treating dry and patchy skin. It is a natural remedy to make the skin soft and supple. Massaging it on the areas like heels, knees, and elbows will have a long-lasting effect on the dry skin.
- With glycerine: Mix tea tree oil with some glycerine and apply it on the dry skin.
- With coconut/almond oil: Mix one tablespoon of coconut/almond oil with 1-2 drops of tea tree oil. Massage it lightly on the dry areas and wash after 15 minutes.
3. Removes dark spots & blemishes: Tea tree oil is an ideal remedy to fight the dark spots of acne and blemishes on the face. Mix a few drops of this oil to raw honey. Apply this mixture with the help of a cotton ball on the affected areas. Leave it for about 10 minutes and then wash with cold water. This remedy is also ideal for the removal of dark spots on legs.
4. Glowing Skin: Tea tree oil is nature’s secret for a healthy and glowing skin. If the skin is clean and hydrated from within, the glow will appear on the face. Grind one tomato and add tea tree and jojoba oil in it. Apply this mixture on your face and leave it for around 15 minutes. Then wash off with tepid water. It will remove the sun tan and the blemishes on the face.
5. Clear blackheads: The antimicrobial properties of the tea tree oil not only helps in treating acne but also prevents blackheads. Add a few drops of this oil and some water in the Multani mitti and make a thick paste. Apply this mask on your face and wash it after drying.
6. Treats wounds: Tea tree oil is bestowed with miraculous antiseptic and antibacterial characteristics. This helps in effectively healing the wounds and prevents any sort of infections developing from abrasions, cuts, and burns. Mix a drop of this oil in one tablespoon of coconut oil. Apply this on the wound and cover it with a bandage. Do this two times a day.
7. Eliminates body odor: The antimicrobial characteristic of the tea tree oil helps in removing the body odor caused by the bacteria. The oil kills the bacteria which causes bad body odor. It is a wonderful natural remedy for this as against the chemical-based deodorants available in the market.
Tea tree oil deodorant: Combine 25-30 drops of tea tree oil in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch, 2 tablespoons of baking soda and 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Let it sit for a few hours and apply.
8. Eases symptoms of psoriasis: The anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antiseptic, and antifungal properties of this oil ease the symptoms of psoriasis. It helps in removing the dead, dry, and scaly skin; it also relieves itching and the redness of the skin. Mix 10-12 drops of tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of coconut oil. Apply this solution on the infected areas two to three times a day.
9. Relieves itching problems: Tea tree oil helps in alleviating the itchiness caused due to chickenpox, bug bites or dermatitis. Fusing this essential oil with coconut/almond oil helps in alleviating this itching problem.
- Itching from chickenpox: Tea tree oil controls excessive itching and scarring due to chickenpox. Just add a few drops of this oil along with some coconut oil to your bathing water to fix this problem.
- Itching from bug bites: The oil soothes the inflammation and reduces the swelling caused due to bug bites. Apply some tea tree and coconut oil on the infected area for immediate relief.
- Ease dermatitis symptoms: Tea tree oil relieves the symptoms of dermatitis. Mix some tea tree and coconut oil together and apply it on the infected area for immediate relief.
10. Treats eczema: The anti-inflammatory properties of the tea tree oil helps in naturally easing the symptoms of eczema such as the dry skin, redness, itchy skin, blisters, and rashes. The presence of antibacterial compound in the oil controls this spreading of the infection and the antioxidants in the oil foster the restoration of itchy and damaged skin.
- To treat redness and itching: Combine a tablespoon of coconut oil in 10 drops each of tea tree and lavender oil. Massage the infected areas with this solution.
- In bathing water: Put 15-20 drops of tea tree oil and 6 drops of almond/coconut oil in the bathing water for a complete relief from eczema.
11. Treats ringworm: The oil contains antifungal properties which help in treating ringworm easily. Apply this oil on the infected areas with the help of a cotton swab. Repeat this procedure three times a day.
12. Relieves Razor Burns: Tea tree oil can be used as an aftershave solution to alleviate razor burns. Just add few drops of this oil on a cotton ball and apply it on the affected areas. The anti-inflammatory property of this oil will give a soothing effect on the burns.
13. Heals Athlete’s Foot: Tea tree oil helps in healing the athlete’s foot due to its antifungal properties. It helps in curing the symptoms of this infection like the redness, peeling, blisters and cracks on the skin. Blend 4-5 drops of neem oil with 4-5 drops of tea tree oil. Apply it on the infected areas with a cotton swab. Wear clean cotton socks. Do this two times a day.
14. Prevents warts: The antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral characteristics of the tea tree oil help in preventing any warts on the body. The oil reduces the pain, redness, and the inflammation caused due to warts. It also helps in the drying of warts. Just apply some undiluted oil over the wart and cover the area with a bandage for about eight hours. After this, just remove the bandage and wash the infected area with cool water.
15. Calm boils: The presence of anti-inflammatory properties in the tea tree oil relieves the pain and inflammation caused due to boils. Add a few drops in some water and apply this solution on the infected area.
16. A makeup remover: Tea tree oil can be used to remove makeup from the face. To prepare this makeup remover, add a few drops of tea tree oil to a canola or a coconut oil. Blend these two oils well and store it in a jar. Dab a cotton swab in this oil and apply it on the face to remove the makeup. This makeover remover will not make your skin dry.
17. Cure nail fungus: Tea tree oil’s antifungal property is helpful in getting rid of the nail fungal infections. Just add a few drops of this oil to coconut oil and apply it on the infection. Do this process two to three times in a day.
18. Heals burns and its scars: Tea tree oil is filled with anti-inflammatory and scar removing properties. Mixing a few drops of this oil in some honey will do wonders on your burns. It alleviates the pain and fastens the healing process.
Tea Tree Oil Uses and Benefits for Haircare
1. Treats dandruff: Tea tree oil is a wonderful remedy to treat dandruff. The effective antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties of the tea tree oil makes it a perfect choice to tackle dandruff problem. It not only moisturizes the scalp and but also prevents itching and flaking.
- Add a few drops of this oil to your shampoo. Leave this for 4-5 minutes and then rinse.
- Hot oil massage: Mix 4 tablespoon of warm coconut oil and 5-7 drops of tea tree oil together. Apply this oil on your hair and tie a towel on your head completely covering the hair. Wash your hair after 45 minutes.
2. Triggers hair growth: The antibacterial features of the tea tree oil unblock the hair follicles and nourishes hair roots leading to the hair growth.
- Massage oil: Add some drops of tea tree oil in coconut or almond oil and massage it on your scalp. Cover your hair with a towel for about 20 minutes. Rinse.
- Shampoo: Add few drops of this oil into your shampoo to promote long and thicker hair.
3. Prevents itchy and dry scalp: Tea tree oil prevents dry and itchy scalp. This condition can be due to bacteria and scalp allergies. The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of this oil reduce the itchiness of the scalp.
- In conditioner: Add 2-3 drops of this oil to your conditioner. Massage well into the scalp and leave it for 5-7 minutes.
- In oil: Mix 4 drops each of peppermint and tea tree oil with 2 tablespoons of warm coconut oil. Massage it on your scalp.
Tea Tree Oil Uses and Benefits for Healthcare
1. Alleviates ear pain: The antibacterial and astringent properties of the tea tree oil help in curing the earaches and provide a soothing relief to the ears. Pain in the ears can be caused due to the bacterial infection or any liquid accumulation. The oil kills the bacterias and dries the liquid accumulated in the ears. Add about 3 drops of this oil in one tablespoon of warm olive oil. Put 4-5 drops of this solution in each of the ears. Wipe this oil out after 10 minutes. Do it once every day.
2. Treats sinus and chest congestion: The antibacterial properties of the tea tree oil kills the bacteria causing sinus and cold infections. It also reduces the chest congestions caused due to cold and cough.
- Adding a few drops of tea tree oil in hot water to take steam is very beneficial to treat nose blockage during cold.
- Take 2-3 drops of tea tree oil and mix it with almond or coconut oil. Apply this on your chest to relieve yourself of congestion.
- Put few drops of this oil on your pillow when suffering from cough and cold. The fumes of this oil will give you a good night’s sleep and prevents nose blockage.
- Add tea tree oil with some coconut or almond oil in your bathing water to alleviate chest congestion.
3. To make hand sanitizer: Tea tree oil has immense powers to fight against the harmful bacteria causing disorders like food poisoning in our bodies. So making a hand sanitizer using this oil is very beneficial for our health. Add 20-25 drops of tea tree oil in witch hazel and aloe vera gel. Use this solution as a hand sanitizer for clean and soft hands.
4. Alleviates anxiety symptoms in cancer patients: Tea tree oil is helpful in alleviating the feeling of despair, anxiety, and promotes good sleep among the cancer patients.
5. Excellent for oral health: Tea tree oil is an amazing solution to treat any oral health problem. The antibacterial and antifungal properties of this oil kill the bacterias present in the mouth.
- Use in toothpaste: Adding a drop of tea tree oil in your toothpaste will remove the bad breath and prevent any bacterial or fungal infections in the mouth.
- Making a mouthwash: You can make your own tea tree oil mouthwash by just adding 2-3 drops of this oil in a glass of lukewarm water. Gargle with this solution for few seconds.
- Cleans toothbrush: Add few drops of tea tree oil in some water and place your toothbrush in it for about 20 minutes. Rinse.
Note: Do not swallow the solutions made from tea tree oil. It can be bad for health.
6. Repels insects: Tea tree oil is extremely beneficial to keep the annoying insects away. This oil is much more efficient than DEET in repelling the mosquitoes away from home. Using this oil to make insects repellant solutions is a good suggestion.
7. Kills lice: Tea tree oil is a potential remedy to kill the irritating head lice and its eggs and nymphs. A combination of tea tree oil and the lavender oil works like magic on the lice and is much more effective than any anti-lice shampoo available in the market. Add about 5 drops each of tea tree oil and lavender oil to the two tablespoon anti-lice shampoo. Apply this on your hair and leave it for about 10 minutes. After washing and drying your hair, use a nit comb to comb your hair.
Note: Don’t let tea tree oil get into the mouth, eyes, and nose of the children.
8. Cures Stye: The antibacterial and anti-inflammatory characteristics of the tea tree oil help in curing the stye on the eyelid by killing the bacteria causing it. Mix one teaspoon of this oil in two tablespoons of water (filtered). Put this solution in the refrigerator for some time. Apply this around your eye three times a day.
Tea Tree Oil Uses and Benefits for Plant Health
Tea tree oil acts as an insecticide and prevents any pests from harming the plants. Add water and tea tree oil in a spray bottle and spray this solution on the plants. This liquid can be used as an antifungal spray to prevent any diseases in the plants. Spray this solution on the plants in every 3 days.
Tea Tree Oil Uses and Benefits for Home Cleaning
1. All-purpose home cleaner: Tea tree oil is a perfect home cleaner which serves all the purposes of cleaning. Heat some vinegar and few drops of tea tree oil in a cup of water. This liquid can be used to clean kitchen counters and sink. It can also clean the bathrooms.
2. Air Freshener: The aromatic fragrance of the tea tree oil makes it a good add-on in the range of air fresheners. It fuses easily with the strong oils used in air fresheners. Adding a few drops of this essential oil to your diffuser along with other oils of your choice will make your home smell great. This air freshener will also act as an air purifier.
3. Laundry Cleaner: Tea tree oil has antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral properties to add to your detergent. It kills the germs present in the clothes and prevents any sort of infections or diseases. Just add one teaspoon of this oil to the laundry in one wash cycle.
4. For mold: Tea tree oil is an excellent remedy to prevent any molds in the house naturally. These molds may cause infections, allergies, and bad odor in the house. It not only prevents but also kills the bacteria and fungus causing molds. Adding this oil to the diffuser purifies the air in the house, and kills mold and bad bacteria. It hampers the growth and spreading of them in the house.