Recently, news broke about Visakhapatnam’s gas leak at a polymer factory which claimed 11 lives early Thursday morning. People haven’t overcome this tragedy and now another tragic incident took place in a boiler explosion in Tamil Nadu’s Neyveli Lignite Corporation’s (NLC) injuring eight persons.
Victims sustained burn injuries
The accident took place at the sixth unit of the Thermal Power Station. According to NLC officials, two workers sustained serious burn injuries. The reason behind the explosion was that the pressure increased inside the boiler and due to massive pressure an explosion occurred in the boiler which resulted in a huge flash fire in the area.
Eight workers were on duty
Eight workers who were working at that time received burn injuries. The injured were immediately rushed to NLC’s hospital but later they were shifted to Kauvery Hospital in Trichy. Last year, in a similar sort of incident, one person died and four were injured at the NLC’s premises.
Workers working on 32-m height
The height of the boiler is 84-metre and when the mishap took place, workers and technicians were working at a height of 32-metre. The moment the accident occurred, the power generation work was immediately stopped. After the preliminary assessment of the injured, doctors claimed that two workers received severe burn injuries while the others have sustained minor injuries.
An inquiry of the blast has been ordered and the committee will look into the mishap minutely to find out the exact reason behind the accident. The NLC tragedy will be investigated by other authorities as well to stop such incidents in the future.
NLC, a ‘Navratna’
NLC India Limited comes in the category of prestigious ‘Navratna’. It is a thermal power generation and fossil fuel mining company owned by the government of India. It was formed in 1956 and since then it has been functioning under the government of India.
Mishap in Chhattisgarh’s paper mill
Mishaps are not taking name to halt, in another incident, seven workers fell sick after inhaling some toxic gases at a paper mill in Raigarh, Chattisgarh on Thursday. The accident occurred when victims were cleaning an open tank. The factory owner did not inform the police about the accident, but the hospital authorities informed the cops.
The mill was shut down amid the COVID-19 lockdown. Cleaning work was going on in the company to resume work in the mill. A team of forensic experts rushed at the spot to find out the exact cause of the accident.