Mesmerising. That is the one word that every visitor to Mashobra uses to describe this quaint but beautiful town in Shimla. This tranquil retreat in the Himalayan region is a popular tourist destination and a favourite getaway. So much so, that even the President of India visits Mashobra every year.
How To Get To Mashobra?
Mashobra is located in Shimla District of Himachal Pradesh. The famous tourist town of Shimla is at a distance of about 13 kilometres and is the main connecting hub.
By Road – Regular bus services connect Mashobra with Shimla, the nearest city. Public and private coaches are regularly available from Lakkar Bazar in Shimla. Large groups and families prefer to take a taxi from Shimla. The drive is a very pleasant one. Mashobra is also easily accessible by road from Delhi (355 kilometres away) and Chandigarh (130 kilometres away).
By Rail – The nearest major railway station is at Kalka, some 103 kilometres away. Regular bus and taxi services connect Mashobra with Kalka. You may also take the train from Kalka to Shimla and then proceed to Mashobra.
By Air – The Jubbarhatti Airport in Shimla, at a distance of about 35 kilometres is the nearest airport and offers domestic air connectivity.
Places To See in Mashobra
- Mahasu Devta Temple – Located at a distance of about 11 kilometres from Mashoba is the Mahasu Devta Temple. The temple is dedicated to Mahasu Devta or Lord Shiva. The shrine is a beautiful and serene one, perched atop a hill.
- Kufri – Kufri, at a distance of about 11 kilometres from Mashobra is another popular getaway, especially in the winters when it inevitably snows. Kufri is a preferred destination during the winter months due to the skiing facilities it offers.
- Carignano – Carignano, an Italian-style villa built by Chevalier Federico Peliti and named after the Italian town Carignano, is another famous tourist attraction of Mashobra. The villa is located on the Shimla-Naldehra Highway at an altitude of about 7657 feet. The breathtaking views from the villa and its sprawling lawns make it a favorite with visitors.
- Reserve Forest Sanctuary – The Reserve Forest Sanctuary, at a distance of about 4 kilometres from Mashobra is home to a rich variety of flora and fauna. It is the ideal place to spot leopards, barking deer, jackals and birds such as the Himalayan eagle, and partridge. Pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the day under one of the many oak or cedar trees in the reserve.
The Retreat Building in Mashobra serves as the annual Presidential Retreat for the President of India. The first citizen of the nation visits ‘The Retreat’ at least once each year and stays for a fortnight. This palatial building is located atop a hill and is built over 10,628 square feet area. This beautiful wooden building was originally built in 1850 and taken over by the British Viceroy in 1895. It offers spectacular views of the surrounding hills and valley. The 16-room structure is one of the most beautiful structures in the region.
Best Time To Visit
Mashobra town in Himachal Pradesh is subject to extreme cold weathers in the months between November and February. Summer months, between March to May, are very pleasant with temperatures ranging between 8°C and 30°C. Cool breeze and clear skies make this the ideal time to visit Mashobra. Following summer, monsoon lasts between June and September. Torrid rainfalls and thunderstorms mark the monsoon and tourists often fear being confined due to landslides at this time.
Fairs And Festivals
Mahasu Fair – The Mahasu Jatra is a famous festival held to celebrate the Mahasu Devta in the month of May. The festival showcases local song and dance performances and is a great crowd puller.
Sipi Fair – The Sipi fair is a centuries old tradition of Sipur, a little town about two kilometres from Mashobra. Pilgrims from far and wide visit the local temple and enjoy the festivities but staying overnight is prohibited according to tradition.
Places To Stay
Some of the most luxurious hotels and accommodation options in Mashobra include:
- Oberoi Wildflower Hall
- Mahasu House
- Club Mahindra Resort Mashobra
- Hotel Gables
Apart from these, the little town has a number of budget hotels and even homestays.
Explore More :