Karun Nair – Second Indian Cricketer To Score 300
On December 19, 2016, Karun Nair became the second Indian batsman to score a triple century in Test cricket. He closed the game with a score of 303 (not out) against England at the MA Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai. Here are some facts about the budding star and his remarkable achievement –
- Born on December 6, 1991, in Jodhpur, Karun Nair, a Kerala based cricketer plays for Karnataka (Ranji Trophy) and for India.
- The right-handed batsman had previously played for Royal Challengers Bangalore and Rajasthan Royals teams in the IPL (Indian Premier League). In 2016, he joined the Delhi Daredevils team.
- Yesterday’s match was 25 year old Nair’s third Test innings and he became the third batsman in the world to score his very first Test century and go on to convert it into a triple century (after Garry Sobers and Bob Simpson).
- Twelve years and eight months ago Virender Sehwag had scored India’s first triple century playing against Pakistan in Multan. Sehwag had scored India’s first Test triple century.
- Nair is also the first Indian batsman to bat in the lower order (at number 5) to reach 300 runs. His performance marks the highest score by any batsman from Asia scored during his maiden Test century. Nair also became India’s highest scoring batsman against England in Test cricket.
- Virender Sehwag tweeted, “Yay ! Welcome to the 300 club @karun126 . It was very lonely here for the last 12 years 8 months. Wish you the very best Karun.Maza aa gaya!”
- PM Narendra Modi also congratulated him with a tweet that said, “Congratulations on the historic triple century @karun126! We all are delighted & proud of your remarkable feat.”
- Nair made his entry in One Day International (ODI) cricket on 11 June 2016, playing against Zimbabwe at the Harare Sports Club. His Test debut was against England at Mohali on November 26, 2016.