In his 24 year career Sachin Tendulkar has been perhaps the most dominant batsman along with Ricky Ponting and Brian Lara. However, as opposed to the two he has been able to perform well against both pace and spin bowling. The question that comes up naturally in this scenario is against which form of bowling has he performed better – pace or spin? Many will say he has played fast bowling better, an opinion shared by Ian Chappell and others will say that he has fared better against spin. Before looking for the answers, however, it would be worthwhile to take a look at some statistics.
Dismissal in tests against pace bowling
In his 200 test career and in 329 innings Sachin has been dismissed 191 times by fast bowlers. The right arm fast bowlers have dismissed Sachin 170 times and on 40 of these occasions he has been bowled through the gate. He has been out caught by a fielder on 65 occasions and caught by a wicketkeeper 30 times. Right arm quickies have also got him lbw 35 times in tests. He averages 43.78 against this form of bowling in tests and has been dismissed on zilch 9 times.
As far as the left armers are concerned their success rate against Tendulkar is a lot lower. He has been dismissed only 21 times and only 5 times has he been bowled. He has been caught by a keeper or a fielder 6 times each. He has also got out lbw to a left arm quick bowler only 4 times in tests and averages 33.61 against them. However, he has also lost his wicket 3 times without a score to a left arm fast bowler in tests.
Following is a list of most successful pace bowlers against Sachin in tests:
- James Anderson – dismissed him 9 times in 14 matches
- Glenn McGrath – dismissed him 8 times in 19 matches
- Jason Gillespie – dismissed him 6 times in 8 matches
- Brett Lee – dismissed him 5 times in 12 matches
- Hansie Cronje – dismissed him 5 times in 11 matches
- Allan Donald – dismissed him 5 times in 11 matches
- Shaun Pollock – dismissed him 4 times in 12 matches
- Peter Siddle – dismissed him 4 times in 9 matches
- Chris Lewis – dismissed him 4 times in 8 matches
- Makhaya Ntini – dismissed him 4 times in 8 matches
Dismissal in ODIs against pace bowling
As far as one dayers go Sachin has played 463 matches and batted 452 innings and remained not out on 41 occasions. In all these matches he has been dismissed 301 times by quick bowling. Right arm fast bowlers have had more success against him in ODIs as they have been able to dismiss him 264 times. Against them he has been bowled on 51 occasions and caught by a fielder 124 times. He has also been out caught by the wicketkeeper 58 times and the 3 occasions has been stumped off fast bowlers or got out hit wicket to them in ODIs has happened against the right armers. He has also been adjudged lbw to them on 27 occasions. He has been dismissed for 16 times at no score by a right arm quick bowler in ODIs.
Against left arm fast bowlers Sachin has been dismissed 37 times and been castled 4 times. He has been caught 19 times by a fielder and caught by a wicketkeeper off a left arm quick bowler on 9 occasions. Left arm quick bowlers have also been able to get him adjudged lbw on 5 occasions. Against them he has got out on zero a couple of times and averages 24.37.
Following is a list of most successful pace bowlers against Sachin in one dayers:
- Chaminda Vaas – dismissed him 9 times in 49 matches
- Brett Lee – dismissed him 9 times in 30 matches
- Shaun Pollock – dismissed him 9 times in 28 matches
- Heath Streak – dismissed him 7 times in 26 matches
- Glenn McGrath – dismissed him 7 times in 23 matches
- Abdur Razzaq – dismissed him 6 times in 26 matches
- Azhar Mahmood – dismissed him 6 times in 23 matches
- Courtney Walsh – dismissed him 6 times in 16 matches
- Aaqib Javed – dismissed him 5 times in 30 matches
- Allan Donald – dismissed him 5 times in 26 matches
Other Information :